PDA

View Full Version : High Silica and Copper

Brandan
10/16/2009, 08:23 PM
Hello all, :sad2:
Well I am going to start off and say that this is somewhat embarrassing, and I feel it is not fair to all the beings that are in my tank. Over the past 3 years, I have always been very dedicated to my tank, and have spent many, many hours of hard labor keeping glass clean, water changed out, topping off 5 gallons every 2 days, dosing BIonic, and emptying skimmer cups.

Back in May I finally graduated college, and bought a house. Ever since the move, time for the tank has dropped substantially. On my RO/DI unit I have an inline TDS meter. As of right now it is reading 2ppm. This is the highest it has ever read. I have completely forgot that I had not replaced my DI cartridge in about a year up until a few weeks ago after I got my test report back from aquariumwatertesting.com. I sent a water sample to them due to the bleaching of color of my SPS corals.

Well, attached is the report. I am assuming the Silica, Copper, and other high values are due to the old DI cartridge? My question here is, should I just take my coral, fish, and inverts out and put them in QT while I re-cycle the tank with new water, from new RO filters? With as high as the Silica and Copper are, is it even worth trying to "fix"? The test report recommends using a phosphate media (which I am not currently running at the moment due to the fact that my reactor is running carbon right now).

At this point in time, I am considering breaking down the tank. My fiance and I are getting married March, and I can see time for the tank becoming very limited as the wedding gets closer and taking care of the new house.

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/14/l_3580cff54fc44fa68d8528b29990f930.jpg

Thanks,
Brandan

Brandan
10/16/2009, 08:28 PM
Forgot to list tank details

SPS dominate 100gal (48x24x20h)
Mated Pair Black and White Ocellaris
Mated Pair of Canary Blennies
Cherub Angel
3" Scopas Tang

8x54 T5 lighting
75lbs LR
2.5" LS bed
Octopus 200skimmer
Via Aqua media reactor (alternate between carbon and phosban)
Quiet One 4000 return pump
2 Tunze 6045 circulation pumps
75gallon sump (50ish gallons running)

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/17/2009, 06:47 AM
FWIW, I do not have high confidence in their testing capabilities.

If you do not have a diatom problem, the silica is no concern.

Copper could be a concern, but it is very hard to say what levels of copper become a problem as it can exist in many forms, some toxic and others not. Before worrying about it, I'd search out other posts about the test results from this company, checking to see what copper levels they are reporting and how those tanks are doing. I know many other folks have posted them here in this forum.

That said, changing the DI is good. Raising the alkalinity is needed. I would not say the phosphate is "good" if accurate. It could be lower. I am generally suspect of their potassium test results, but if real, it is low. Calcium is much too low for SPS.

Brandan
10/17/2009, 08:06 AM
FWIW, I do not have high confidence in their testing capabilities.

If you do not have a diatom problem, the silica is no concern.

Copper could be a concern, but it is very hard to say what levels of copper become a problem as it can exist in many forms, some toxic and others not. Before worrying about it, I'd search out other posts about the test results from this company, checking to see what copper levels they are reporting and how those tanks are doing. I know many other folks have posted them here in this forum.

That said, changing the DI is good. Raising the alkalinity is needed. I would not say the phosphate is "good" if accurate. It could be lower. I am generally suspect of their potassium test results, but if real, it is low. Calcium is much too low for SPS.

I agree with everything you listed. Thanks for the heads up, I will have to look into other results on the board here. I do in fact have a diatom problem, so silica is one that is major. The Calcium and Alkalinity issue was fixed throughout the week slowly bringing both back up in an equal manor. I was surprised to see that the phosphate was this low. I was thinking it was going to be extremely high (being the cause of the diatom problem) but it appears it is due to the silica instead. I am now running the phosban in my reactor, I'll see how that does.

Brandan