PDA

View Full Version : Help??

JGall
10/17/2009, 12:20 AM
Can anybody give me some guidance, after setting up and cycling my 120 gallon FOWLR tank I had an outbreak of ich and rather than losing everything I mistakenly decided to dose with Seachem Cupramine (their version non chelated copper) (bottle stated it whould not affect the biological filter bed) in the display tank. I intend on removing the cupramine with carbon in a media reactor. Other forums are telling me that the live rock and sand are now garbage. I have not experienced any spike in ammonia or nitrite and fish seem to be doing well. Do I need to start completely over or can I begin to add several fish. I was concerned about the possible lack of micro fauna as far as initial food for angels.

muttley000
10/17/2009, 03:48 AM
Welcome to Reef Central! You will likely get several opinions on this! Keep monitoring your ammonia and nitrite levels and be prepared to do large water changes just in case. You likely have killed much of the fauna on the rock and in the sand, but this can be reseeded by adding a few pounds of fully cured rock and a couple of cups of live sand from a friend or dealers tank.

billdogg
10/17/2009, 06:17 AM
In addition to the carbon, invest in several polyfilter pads. They are designed to pull various chemicals from the water. I forget what color it turns in the presence of copper (it will say on the package, but I would run it until it stops changing). As far as the sand and rock being destroyed - the base rock in my 60g is siliconed to the bottom (gray lava rock - it floats! whod'a thunk!) In the early years, it was heavily dosed several times with copper based meds - I have no problems at all with my corals in the tank - just make sure all traces of copper are gone. I used polyfilter so long I thought they should start giving me stock options!

So - ya thinking maybe a QT tank next time???

Playa-1
10/17/2009, 09:57 AM
Can anybody give me some guidance, after setting up and cycling my 120 gallon FOWLR tank I had an outbreak of ich and rather than losing everything I mistakenly decided to dose with Seachem Cupramine (their version non chelated copper) (bottle stated it whould not affect the biological filter bed) in the display tank. I intend on removing the cupramine with carbon in a media reactor. Other forums are telling me that the live rock and sand are now garbage. I have not experienced any spike in ammonia or nitrite and fish seem to be doing well. Do I need to start completely over or can I begin to add several fish. I was concerned about the possible lack of micro fauna as far as initial food for angels.

I think how you proceed depends on what you're planning to do with this tank in the long run. What were your plans for this tank?

JGall
10/17/2009, 11:58 AM
Playa1,

Tank will always be fish only with no invertebrates. Future plans are the following stocklist.

1 harlequin tusk
1 small golden butterfly
1 small purple tang
1 small adult Majestic angel
and either 1 flame angel : 1 bicolor angel or both

JGall
10/17/2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks a bunch for taking the time to reply, you guys unanimously reinforced what I originally thought, however, a member at the saltwaterfish.com forum gave their honest opinion and scared me. They believed that rock (130 lbs of nice pieces) and the sand should be thrown in the garbage. Difficult to believe when I think the hobby is turning to using dry live rock as an alternative in an attempt to be more environmentally responsible. Please, please feel free to continue to give me your opinions as well as on my proposed stock list.

Playa-1
10/17/2009, 12:50 PM
I would have advised you not to treat with Copper in the DT but the damage is already done. I would do a series large water changes with the intent of changing out all the water and then some over a relatively short period of time . Make every effort to get the tank free of any traces of the copper. Carbon and poly pads as described earlier. I think with a FO setup you will likely be just fine. If you were planning to do anything other then a FO tank then I think the advise of starting over might be appropriate. You will want to keep a close eye on the Ammonia lvls in the tank as you could get some die-off as a result of the copper.

JGall
10/17/2009, 09:52 PM
Does anyone see any issues with my potential stock list??