PDA

View Full Version : 2 mp40w's in my 100 gallon cube :)

elekamit
10/17/2009, 05:59 AM
Hey guys!
I just got 2 mp40w's for my 100 gallon cube reef tank.
Tank sizes are 80x80x60.
Currently I have placed the pump dead in the center of each opposite sides, 9cm from water level, I am trying to make a wave using pulse mode, however not doing very well.
Should I position them otherwise or maybe I am doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Mike31154
10/18/2009, 04:38 PM
How do you have the pumps configured? Master/slave and if so, synch/anti-synch? Might be a little tricky to get an actual wave in a tall cube such as yours. I think it's easier in a longer, rectangular tank. You simply have to find the proper harmonic of the cube to get the wave, but you might find in a short tank that sloshing over the rim may be an issue.

I don't use wave mode (short pulse) personally but had no difficulty producing a wave in my 77 gal 4 foot long tank (that would be well over 100cm long) when I initially got my MP40W. I remember it took fairly short pulses and I had the pump at about the same height from the surface as you have. Never tried it since I've purchased my second MP40W. I prefer long pulse mode at 10 second intervals, master/slave, anti-synch with max speed at about 75%. This produces a good alternating flow with few dead spots and beneficial surface agitation as well as a nice undertow along the substrate.

Once the EcoTech folks are back in the office tomorrow, they may have some better info regarding wavemaking in cubes.

EcoTech Marine
10/19/2009, 10:05 AM
To create a wave, make sure the master pump is in short-pulse mode and that the slave is in anti-sync. Then just tune the wave until you see the resonance occur. There is also a video here: http://ecotechmarine.com/customer-service/how-to-videos/

elekamit
10/20/2009, 01:56 PM
I have tried that already.
Maybe it is not positioned at the right height?
Maybe too much power?
I dunno...

EcoTech Marine
10/20/2009, 02:11 PM
No doubt in my mind that two MP40w's will be able to create a wave in a tank that size, I think you need to take more time tuning the frequency or check to make sure you are following all the steps outlined above.

elekamit
10/20/2009, 03:24 PM
Ok, I will try again :)
As for the height of the pumps in the tank.
should they be placed in a specific height above sand/beneath water level?