PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to leave tank fallow if no signs of ick for months

chrisk500
10/17/2009, 08:31 AM
I had a bad ich outbreak a while ago which was brought on by an infected puffer that I did not QT. I currently have a clownfish and 3 chromis in the tank and none of them have shown a single sign of ich in over 3 months. Is this sufficient to start slowly adding fish again or must the tank actually be kept fallow for a period of time and why?
Thanks.

steelersfan
10/17/2009, 10:53 AM
If the fish died from Ich, the tank needs to remain fallow for a minimum of 8 weeks. To play it safe, many people recommend that the tank remain fallow for 10 weeks. Since you have had four fish in the tank for the past three months, Ich is still present in your tank. If you would add any new fish to the current system, the probability of them getting Ich is very high.

Gwynhidwy
10/17/2009, 02:13 PM
if the fish died from ich, the tank needs to remain fallow for a minimum of 8 weeks. To play it safe, many people recommend that the tank remain fallow for 10 weeks. Since you have had four fish in the tank for the past three months, ich is still present in your tank. If you would add any new fish to the current system, the probability of them getting ich is very high.

+1

iceman79
10/17/2009, 02:19 PM
Your fish have most likely kicked the ich but it doesnt mean its not still present in your system you want to QT your remaining fish and let your display tank run fallow for 8 weeks . Or you can just buy a cheap fish and add to your tank and see what happens