PDA

View Full Version : help with mushroom coral

JANOtheMANO
10/17/2009, 01:22 PM
My Local LFS is selling colonies on liverock od some neon green mushrooms about 7-10 heads for only 29 bucks , so i was wondering if its a good buy and how fast these things grow, will it grow onto my other live rock?

lordofthereef
10/17/2009, 01:50 PM
29 bucks isn't bad. Can probably be had for less from a local reefer though. I started with a single head of red mushroom on a rock someone gave me and it has multiplied to 4 heads in about 2 months. They will grow onto other rocks too. I have read that they can "take over" too, but you can always start slicing them off rocks you don't want them on. I think I am far from that stage though.

JANOtheMANO
10/17/2009, 02:50 PM
bump

Playa-1
10/17/2009, 05:09 PM
They will spread in your tank but it won't be overnight. $30 seems reasonable if you like the shrooms.

alaska clowns
10/17/2009, 08:36 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me, too......here, my LFS is selling what sounds like the same thing for $45.

sohal1025
10/17/2009, 09:38 PM
Will the shrooms kill off sps if it gets in contact with it??
I have some spreading well and are getting close.

mtisc323
10/17/2009, 10:11 PM
no mushrooms will not kill sps ... mushrooms are pretty harmless, they may "overgrow" some zoas and suffocate them, but as far as any sps go, as long as the mushrooms arent shading them they will be fine. The good thing about mushrooms is that if they do start shading, they are very easy to pluck off

VacavilleFC3S
10/17/2009, 10:20 PM
easy to pluck off???? not at all, any flesh left on the rock will become new mushrooms

Flipper62
10/17/2009, 11:02 PM
no mushrooms will not kill sps ... mushrooms are pretty harmless, they may "overgrow" some zoas and suffocate them, but as far as any sps go, as long as the mushrooms arent shading them they will be fine. The good thing about mushrooms is that if they do start shading, they are very easy to pluck off

MUSHROOMS...ARE PRETTY HARMLESS.......????

ROOKIE MISTAKE.

Not only will a shroom kill things in its way if it decides to move ( if it doesn't like the light or water flow ). It can also use Chemical Warfare to kill any other coral that may be close to it.