PDA

View Full Version : Pale Clownfish

re_vogel
10/17/2009, 06:03 PM
I have two clown fish that are currently hosting a Sabae anemone. Several months ago I noticed that the female had become very pale and does not venture far from the anemone. The other one has the correct coloring and does leave the anemone. I don't think there is anything wrong with the fish because it has been like this for several months but I would like to know what is causing it.
Thoughts?

clowns101
10/17/2009, 06:06 PM
Coudl be anything.Like feeding,the host anemone(not saying any thing is wrong with it),also the mood of the fish.My male tomato clown is sometimes pale to vibrant red but depends on day and mood!

DeathWish302
10/17/2009, 07:05 PM
Sorry... double post

DeathWish302
10/17/2009, 07:07 PM
If you feel it is diet, some Cyclopeeze or Nutrarose will punch the astaxanthin in their diet through the roof. What is your normal diet consist of?

If it is mood, there is little you can do. How long ago did you purchase the anemone? How long before the clown started becoming pale?

My female tomato is always vibrant red, whereas her tankmate changes color depending on how much she is chewing him out... Somedays his snout is white as a ghost while he's breathing 100-140 breathes/min waiting for the next attack....

re_vogel
10/18/2009, 06:19 AM
I feed Emerald Entrée from San Fransisco Bay. I have fed it for several years and the other fish are fine. Maybe I will pickup some other food and see if it is a diet issue.

DeathWish302
10/18/2009, 06:51 AM
I feed Emerald Entrée from San Fransisco Bay. I have fed it for several years and the other fish are fine. Maybe I will pickup some other food and see if it is a diet issue.

I'm not saying SFB Emerald Entree is bad, but it has artemia (brine shrimp) as the first ingredient... I prefer not to feed artemia at all. It does have some greens, but they are all terrestrial. This isn't horrible, just marine algaes are much better in comparison except maybe spinach. It does have spirulina near the middle of the list. Could a fish survive on this diet...Sure!

I would kick up the astaxanthin by means of cyclopeeze and see if the change occurs. I know Ocean Nutrition used to be a good frozen food, but they seemed to have lowered their quality the last time I bought any (1-2 years ago). I have heard good things about Rod's food, but unlike the masses I feel it's pricey for what you get. Does your LFS sell their own frozen food mix? That supplemented with a good color-enhancing pellet (New Life Spectrum) or Cyclopeez would be your best bet to see if you can get color back if the problem is a deficiency in diet.

Rambling now.......:hmm2: