PDA

View Full Version : Help with calcium

lmpurvis
10/17/2009, 11:36 PM
I have a 150 gal. fish and reef tank that has been set up for about 8 months.
Originally, I had no problems it was perfect, but the last 2-3 months I have been having fish, and crabs dieing. Just in the last 2 months, have I added coral, which have been doing fine. But my calcium has been running high. the first month it was 500+ just checked and it is 750. What di I due a bout the high calcium? And what do I do about the dieing fish, and crabs when all my other chemistries, and temp is normal? Could the increase in CA kill them?

dots
10/18/2009, 12:25 AM
How high is your alkalinity? What is your Water change schedule like? What do you dose? I am guessing your adding a buffer or other additives without testing.

Welcome to ReefCentral by the way, lots of good people to help you out.

Percula9
10/18/2009, 12:29 AM
The high calcium is not causing the deaths. What are the tanks other parameters? Have you been adding calcium? What test kit are you using to measure the calcium?

Flipper62
10/18/2009, 12:38 AM
I have to agree with Dots.

Too many people dose calcium....just to dose, When infact the salt that they are using has a good amount of calcium already in it. If you do regular water changes ( every 2 weeks ) should be just fine.

Are you testing the calcium level ?????

In my opinion, you should never dose anything without testing for it first.

I use Oceanic Natural Sea Salt Mix, It has 580 of calcium in it right from the start. I do water changes every 2 weeks. Sometimes every week. I have never had any problems with the high calcium level.

I would say that you need to look elsewhere for the cause of the deaths in your tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/18/2009, 08:18 AM
This may be help deciding what to dose and how:

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

HighlandReefer
10/18/2009, 08:22 AM
lmpurvis,

Have you checked your ammonia levels? Anytime fish start to die, this is the number one suspect. If the fish were just bought, then acclimation procedures should be checked. ;)

lmpurvis
10/18/2009, 06:17 PM
Thank you everyone. fist let me say I am using the Mardel dip strips, if out of range there then I go to the Master Kit that I individually test everything. What do y'all sugest is best for testing. I am not dosing calcium at all b/c before I added any coral my calcium was 500-600 then I did a water change. I do a 25% water change once a month. Only thing i am currently adding is strontium & molybdenum, iodide (Kent Marine), but when I was at the pet store last night they said I need Kent Marine's Tech CB A&B to help buffer. I am new to the coral so I don't have a clue. Let me chek all my other levels and I will get back to y'all.

lmpurvis
10/18/2009, 06:37 PM
Let me correct I am using the Reef Master test kit.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/19/2009, 05:58 AM
Check my article above with respect to both the things you are dosing that I'd personally stop (strontium, molybdenum, iodide) and things I would (alkalinity and calcium when necessary, especially).