PDA

View Full Version : Apex - pH Spike

tamu
10/18/2009, 07:07 PM
I just noticed this today looking at the pH reading for my tank. Honestly, I do not check the historical data every day...

OzarksReef
10/18/2009, 07:19 PM
8.4 shouldn't be a concern. The bump looks odd though -were you dosing Alk or Kalk at that time?

tamu
10/18/2009, 07:22 PM
Nothing was going on at the time.

ZachB
10/18/2009, 08:40 PM
Did you open the windows to your house? I noticed today that when I opened my living room window my pH went from 7.8 to 8.01

tamu
10/18/2009, 08:42 PM
No, not during that early morning hour.

kenargo
10/18/2009, 09:22 PM
Something tunring on (you can check the outlet log and compare times). To me it looks like something being added to the tank water.

tamu
10/19/2009, 06:59 AM
The only thing turning on at that hour would be a fan in the canopy or my Calcium reactor solenoid, which turn on/off throughout the day.

I don't dose anything, so I know it is not that.

tamu
10/22/2009, 10:12 PM
I was sitting here playing with Ken's mobile app and noticed my pH was reading 8.65. (I rarely get to 8.1) By the time I logged into the Apex and verified it was reading 8.65 on the next screen refresh it dropped down back to 7.82 where it was initially.

I don't think the probe is bad, it seems to read fine most of the time. I have just seen 1 or so of these spikes each day only for the last couple of days. I don't know what is going on.

kenargo
10/22/2009, 11:02 PM
I thought I had asked this before; are you running 8J29 firmware (the latest release)?

If you are then I'm beginning to wonder if there is an electrical device in the water that is beginning to fail and leak current into the water. Is you see this on a daily basis you might be able to identify the pattern and you could try placing the probe in a cup of water for the day and see if it happens with the probe isolated.

tamu
10/31/2009, 10:36 PM
I'm running the latest non-beta firmware.

I caught my pH reading 8.66 tonight, so I went ahead and pulled the probe out and isolated it in a cup. The pH immediately started to drop, so I thought problem isolated. It dropped down to 7.9, but in about 10 seconds started to climb right back up to 8.4 then dropped back to 7.93 then as I type it is climbing back over 8. (on a good day with the windows open I might get to 8.1)

I'm at a loss as to what is going on... This only seem to happen after my main tank lights are done for the day. My T5s come on at 9am and off at 10PM. Look how during the day there are no spikes. I do not dose any supplements into the tank. The only thing running at night that is not during the day is the LunarSim and a sump light. I turned the sump light off tonight, but it didn't seem to have an effect.

I will keep the pH probe isolated in the cup and see how tonight and tomorrow night look.

aquamanic
11/01/2009, 06:13 AM
Have you tried cleaning the probe and re-calibrating it?

rsuplido
11/01/2009, 08:01 AM
That happened to me once and the Apex kept sending an email due to the high pH rule, but when I check it, the pH is already down. I just shook the pH probe lightly while submerged and the problem went away. It must be some debris that got clogged near the sensor.

tamu
11/01/2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, I just don't know why it never happens during the day.