PDA

View Full Version : Bulkhead leak question...GRR!

mellowhead
10/19/2009, 03:04 PM
Just installed a new return pump and everything was fine. Then I got the bright idea to see how I could dial back my other existing return pump. NOt sure if it was the dialing back that did it ot me pulling on the return line, but I am now leaking from right below the bulkhead. Not sure how or why the seal isn't holding. Anyhow, should I just drain that overflow compartment and remove the bulkhead and reset? What else could/should I be doing?

Speedy replies most welcome:lol:

Regards,

PS - Just thought about this.... my overflows allow water in at 3 different levels. Will I actually be able to drain the overflow? I am trying to see now. If it does what could I use to block off the slits on the overflow to prevent water (below the surface line) from entering while I repair the leaky bulkhead?

Edit2 - Seems like I can empty it. I also noticed, after emptying the overflow, that the nut on the bottom of my return side bulkhead was loose. I was able to turn it slightly by hand and a little more with my wrench. Is it possible from me pulling on it and maybe the vibration of the return pump wiggled this nut just loose enough to allow water to start seeping through?

arredondojason
10/19/2009, 03:28 PM
i used a big set of chanel lock pliers and griped down on mine then tightend as hard as i could and it stoped leaking. if your tank has thinner glass i would not recomend to just torque on it my tank is 3/4 inch glass.

am3gross
10/19/2009, 03:30 PM
i would replace the seals if they are old and then tighten them down the best i could....

mellowhead
10/19/2009, 04:53 PM
The seals should be 2yrs this month iirc., not very old. I'm just surprised that I could actually hand tighten the bulkhead nut some. Like mentioned I then tightened it more with my pliers, but wasn't sure how hard to keep turning. I'm thinking I should fill the overflow back up and see if it leaks. Take the next step depending on results. On a side note one thing I find pretty cool is the overflow doesn't refill with water even though there are drain slits mid way and almost to the bottom of the overflow.

Regards,

FishTruck
10/19/2009, 05:39 PM
That just happened to me... in my case after jiggling the standpipe out and then back in.

Like you, I found that I could hand tighten by about 1/8 th turn.

I did what you did, and hand-tightened it. No leaks now for two weeks. Knock wood.

mellowhead
10/19/2009, 06:17 PM
Well I have the tank running with just one return on and no leaks, so I'll start the second one up and see how she goes. Will report back in the a.m. unless I have some leaks again:p

Thanks again,

Nerdy Nudi
10/19/2009, 07:28 PM
anyone ever use a touch of silicone on the seals?

sgolden
10/19/2009, 07:46 PM
i only use silicone to fill the space between the bulkhead threads and glass....not on the gasket