PDA

View Full Version : Mag chloride from Road Runner Deicer?

reefnut1
10/19/2009, 06:39 PM
Road Runner Deicer

Is anyone using this brand for Mag Chloride? It seems that I read on RC some time ago that this one is ok to use.

It shows a small amount of potassium on the bag.

HighlandReefer
10/19/2009, 06:51 PM
From this MSDS sheet:

Road Runner Ice Melting Compound
Contains a proprietary combination
of Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride,
Calcium Chloride and Magnesium Chloride.

http://www.scotwoodindustries.com/MSDS%20for%20Website/Road%20Runner%20MSDS.pdf

This is not what I would want to add to increase mag. levels. ;)

reefnut1
10/19/2009, 10:31 PM
Those items you mention have me wondering to but.

When I attempt to look up Mag Flakes MSDS I believe it has the same amounts of Potassium chloride, sodium chloride and calcium chloride.

I guess I better not make a mistake with this and should not use it.

bertoni
10/19/2009, 10:35 PM
It might be safe, but I wouldn't take the chance, personally. It'd take a lot of expensive testing to be sure.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/20/2009, 04:42 AM
MAG flake is not a combination of those things, but rather has some of them as impurities. The Road Runner stuff might actually add those ingredients in which case they may be present at much higher concentrations.

reefnut1
10/20/2009, 05:55 AM
Thanks to everyone that responded.

I wont use it.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/20/2009, 06:06 AM
:thumbsup:

Happy Reefing. :)

Vanman
10/20/2009, 06:40 AM
Hey Randy...what is the stuff that you add to your cal reactor to maintain mag? Where to buy it and what brand name? I have heard dolomite and have heard others talk about mg granuals. Which one is best to use and how is it purchased? I am intrested in this not only tohelp with maintaining cal and alk levels but also to help control bryopsis or hair algae. I was reading that keeping the mag levels around 1400 will help kill off the algae.

Also....I have the opertunity to but a 200 gallon bucket of kent seasalt that is unopened for 15 bucks from craigslist. Would you trust this salt?

Thanks everyone

Jay

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/20/2009, 06:44 AM
Dolomite. It is a calcium/magnesium carbonate. The granules must be dolomite too, or something similar, if used in a reactor. I'm not aware of any readily available DIY brands. There are some hobby brands and could be some suitable hardware store things for it. Try searching on dolomite.

Yes, I'd trust the salt if it looks OK. :)

Vanman
10/20/2009, 07:02 AM
Dolomite. It is a calcium/magnesium carbonate. The granules must be dolomite too, or something similar, if used in a reactor. I'm not aware of any readily available DIY brands. There are some hobby brands and could be some suitable hardware store things for it. Try searching on dolomite.

Yes, I'd trust the salt if it looks OK. :)

Thanksfor your help thismorning...

I need a new keyboard....darn space bar is giving up...

Thanks again

Jay