PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Easy Auto Top Off System

biglurr54
10/19/2009, 07:15 PM
OK everyone heres a design i have been testing and have had great results with. Everyone hates dealing with keeping the water at the right level. When i bought my RODI unit it came with a pressure switch which turns the water off to the ro when the pressure in the finished water line builds up o a certain pressure. They use these systems for ro units that are used or sinks and such that have a reservoir tank. i was first going to use a kent marine float switch but i didnt want to drill my glass sump tank. i did some brain storming and spent some time walking around hd. i came to the toilet section.

Every toilet uses a float switch to control the levels in the tank. up until recently they have used metal on the switches and they were big and bulky. A while back the switched to a modern version that is a vertical tube with a small float around it. Again they had some metal on these. About a year ago i noticed that the metal disappeared and they were all plastic. I instantly bought one or about $7 and went to work.

I used 2 PVC 90 degree angles so i could angle the supply line up and out of the top of the tank. i used pvc cement to bond everything. I also used some JB weld on the bottom of the Toilet float valve in order to seal it completely. i used 1/4 inch tubing that is standard for RODI units. i got a fitting that threaded into the 90 degree angles. i plumbed it all up and tested it at full pressure from my house plumbing. The system will never se a pressure this high but it will provide a good test to check for leaks. i build a stand for it so it will not tip over or have anything block it or interrupt its functioning. When the sump is filled to the right level the float floats up and seals the valve. This will lowly create pressure in the line turning the supply line to the Ro off. now the system is dormant. through out the day, about 10-15 times in 24 hours, the tank will evaporate water and the level in the sump will drop, as will the float. this will open the valve and release the pressure on the RODI line turning the supply line back on. the tank will fill until the float switch turns off the RODI line and so start the cycle.

I have run this system for about 12 months now with out one failure or over flow or issue of any kind. the toilet valves seem to be extremely sensitive to water height. it is also very easy to set to any height with two different ways to adjust height.

ill post pictures when my girl friend returns my camera.

Freds
10/19/2009, 08:29 PM
Interesting.
Nice find! I can't wait to see pics of the rig.

Spyder_78
10/19/2009, 09:50 PM
No worries of salt creep or calcium deposits jamming it up and causing problems?

das75
10/19/2009, 11:59 PM
You'll be hearing that you're your risking your tank being connected directly to the ro/di.

Not from me though, got mine also direct using a humidifier float valve, trouble free close to 5 years. No salt creep or deposits as the fresh ro/di water flushes the valve. No TDS creep either.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/float.jpg

Snakebyt
10/20/2009, 12:11 AM
would like to see pics of this setup

reefbro
10/20/2009, 06:07 AM
Sounds pleasing. Lets's see some pics.

tat2shawn
10/20/2009, 01:29 PM
+1 on the pics!

der_wille_zur_macht
10/20/2009, 01:55 PM
Assuming it's not jamming up from time to time due to calcium buildup, snails, etc. - then the only concern I would have would be that turning your system on several times a day for very small volumes of water is not the most efficient way to produce pure water - the first few seconds/minutes of product water will have some contaminants in them. If you are only turning it on for a few minutes each time, this means that pretty much all of your water will be slightly contaminated.

In contrast, if you turn it on once a week to fill up a large storage container, then top off from that container, you only get the impurities once, diluted in a large volume of water. This means less impurities in your tank.

Interesting application, though. I don't want to start an argument about safety, but it makes me nervous to see a topoff system that has no failsafes built in. Sure, it might run fine for years, but all it takes is one component failing to cause disaster. Hence, I like to design mine with several failsafes (solenoid valves controlled by liquid level switches, etc.)

biglurr54
10/21/2009, 10:58 AM
i had no idea about the water contamination when the RODI is turned off and on. i thought with the ro membrane no contaminants can pass through. and would the DI system pick out the few contaminants that do pass through. im interested to see how much actually is getting through and into my tank in the long run. im starting to build a 125 fowlr and i was going to use this system but now im not sure if i will or not. i probably will because it is so cheap[ and easy to make.

here are the long awaited pics.

biglurr54
10/21/2009, 10:59 AM
ato

der_wille_zur_macht
10/21/2009, 11:09 AM
biglurr54, it's likely that the DI is pulling the contaminants from the water, so though they may not be making it into the tank, you'll use DI faster. This is a tradeoff of course, do you want a simple system like yours, or do you want your DI to last longer?

The trick would be to find a way to use an intermediate storage container between the RO system and the tank - such that the RO system only runs every few days, making 10 or 20 gallons of water at a time, and then the tank is topped off as required from that reserve. One of the "really big tank" guys on here had a thread several years ago about a way to do this with a very simple and cheap system (if I recall, it basically used an inverted compartment inside the storage container to create a vacuum that held water such that the RO system wasn't activated until the storage container was nearly empty.) It might have been Steve Weast, but I don't really remember. Maybe someone can dig it up.

Also, I'd make sure it was totally isolated from snails! I can imagine even a little stomatella could really screw with that float valve. One of the advantages of the bulky float-on-a-lever valves sold for this hobby is that the mechanics are all up above the water line out of reach, and the float contacts the water far enough away from the mechanism (due to the lever) that it's hard for livestock to jam it.

Overall though I'm not trying to say your system is bad, just trying to share some thoughts about potential disadvantages.

das75
10/21/2009, 11:49 AM
I short cycle my ro/di to about 1-2g a day and after about 6 months (or often more) will notice a slight rise in TDS.

My experience is it's not like short cycling burns up you di in a week.

beefcake78
10/21/2009, 10:30 PM
I was totally looking for someone who has done this!! I was thinking about doing this for a long time and am really glad to see someone has had good luck with this! thanks