PDA

View Full Version : Water Storage

bhammer
10/20/2009, 12:37 AM
What does everyone use to store RO/DI water and saltwater? And, where did you get them?

I currently use a couple trash cans in the garage but hauling them to the tank is a chore. I'd love to include something into my stand for my 280 build.

mellowhead
10/20/2009, 04:29 AM
Most seem to use anything from water jugs, brute trash cans, 5g buckets with air tight lids to custom made acrylic/glass holding tanks. You can get most at HD, lowes, etc. I'd figure out how much space you are going to have to accommodate this and start from there. As far as having something in your garage, I'd get a cheaper high flow return pump and use that instead of lugging things from the garage. For instance, I make up all water for my big water changes in the kitchen filling up a Brute Trash can then just pump into my sump from there. You can use this setup to drain your sump/tank too. Just put the pump in there and run the line into the sink or wherever you dump your old saltwater.

Regards,

username in use
10/20/2009, 06:44 AM
I use glass tank. I store my water for a week or two at a time and there is always some in the container as I never use all of it, so I got tired of different things leaching stuff into the water over time. I just bit the bullet and drilled a glass tank for a float valve and drain with a ball valve. Now I just head to the basement with the required number of 5gallon buckets and fill up.

bhammer
10/20/2009, 10:15 PM
Thanks guys. Anyone else?

Chalu
10/20/2009, 10:57 PM
I plan to use two 55g barrrels (Craigslist is a good place to check, I'd look for the food grade ones that has'nt been used for anything else) one for RO/DI & one for saltwater. this will be in the basement; I plan to use a mag 7 or OR3500 to make water changes a breeze....no more lugging water.

Chalu
10/20/2009, 10:59 PM
Oh & also ...I always fill up the 55G in one go to get more mileage from the RO/DI filters.
For top off...I use a 5G can, this way I can limit how much RO/DI gets dumped into the system in the event of any equipment or human errors ;) the 5G gets filled up manually. the top off was in stand previously, but now it will be in the basment with the other barrels. I would'nt worry about incorporating the Change RO/DI/Saletwater into the stand, thats a lot of precious real estate that could be used for better things

Mr.X-Ray
10/20/2009, 11:00 PM
I have a 30g brute trash can in the laundry room. No lugging water for me though. I have it plumbed down into the crawl space then back up to the tank to my float switch.

Volcano1
10/20/2009, 11:17 PM
I use these, work very well.Found them at local farm supply store.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/reefgreener/064724.jpg

Chalu
10/20/2009, 11:36 PM
I use these, work very well.Found them at local farm supply store.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/reefgreener/064724.jpg

looks like something I could use without having to drill mine....is that available at fleet farm?

bhammer
10/21/2009, 01:46 PM
I guess I need to stop by the tractor supply company and see what they have available.

Another question. For those that keep salt under you mix in the container an airerate while stored?

Mr.X-Ray
10/21/2009, 02:29 PM
I guess I need to stop by the tractor supply company and see what they have available.

Another question. For those that keep salt under you mix in the container an airerate while stored?

I mix my salt in the same storage container a day or two before a water change and fill water to max capacity. After a couple of water changes I found the 30g point in which to drain. This works well for me as I syphon to that point and then leave it as the ATO will fill it back up. The next day I will fill the storage container back up. My TO water is always circulated and airated as I have simi-bad well water. If it sits it will start growing.

DaveMorris
10/21/2009, 11:59 PM
I buried a 165g cistern tank in my backyard and use it to store NSW that I get from Scripps Institute. It works great.