PDA

View Full Version : Cannon 40d Macro Lens

Montezuma
10/20/2009, 08:08 AM
Guys, I know the 100mm 2.8f macro lens for cannon is probably my best bet, but I dont think I can afford it right now. Im wondering if there is a cheaper lens I can buy that will get me the same type of results. I think I lose $ on selling my corals because I cant get a close up the beautifull colors.

Sorry im still new to this.

DetectiveTofu
10/20/2009, 08:21 AM
tr-tr-tr-triple post, lol :D

You can look in to the Canon 60 mm macro; do some hunting round and I'm sure you'll find some reviews. I have a friend who does under water photography with it, and the results are excellent. Of course you've got to know what you're doing as well :)
My personal opinion would be to wait, and save up for the 100 mm ... you will only spend more getting the 60 mm macro now, and then the 100 mm later down the line.
Also, bear in mind that many people use some sort of PP in order to edit their photos to give their photos more pop.

TitusvileSurfer
10/20/2009, 12:09 PM
Same? No
Acceptable? Perhaps
The Tamron 90mm might be of use to you.
You are going to need a nice tripod as well.

lowbudget
10/21/2009, 03:59 AM
or sigma 105mm macro

90sShooter
10/21/2009, 10:21 AM
I say spring for the 100mm! I was faced with the same decision several months ago and decided to just go for it. $400 well worth it! Like DetectiveTofu said, you will only end up spending more money gettings something "acceptable" now and then getting the 100mm later. Atleast with the 100mm you can pretty much rest assured that there is nothing bettter...

As a side note, I have noticed that the 100mm has gone up in price SUBSTANTIALLY in the last several months! I purchased mine for $444 back in January and I just looked at the SAME retailer and they are now $640! Anybody tell me what's going on? This lense has always been in pretty high demand as far as I know... :confused: What's with the price increase? I see now why it may be hard to shell out the extra cash, try to find a used one. (can't have mine! :p )

TitusvileSurfer
10/21/2009, 01:21 PM
Aww come on shooter help the guy out, buy low sell high! ;)
We weren't kidding when we told you it will hold its value.

Recty
10/21/2009, 03:06 PM
Every Canon lens is going up in price... not just the 100mm macro.

I sold my used 24-70L for the same price I bought it for, I was pretty happy :)

I wanted the 100-400 F4.5-6.3L w/IS back when it was $1600, I was thinking about buying it a little while ago and it's almost $2000 now for it.

Recty
10/21/2009, 03:07 PM
Every Canon lens is going up in price... not just the 100mm macro.

I sold my used 24-70L for the same price I bought it for, I was pretty happy :)

I wanted the 100-400 F4.5-6.3L w/IS back when it was $1600, I was thinking about buying it a little while ago and it's almost $2000 now for it.

90sShooter
10/21/2009, 03:38 PM
No kidding! Too bad I will NEVER get rid of that lense...

That's crazy... Just like a Rolex, product stays the same... Price goes up! Glad I bought then cause $600 is a LITTLE out of my price range!

Here's a little secret though... Sign up for Bing.com and use Bing.com to search for the lense or go into the store list and access the store through Bing.com. This will give you an addition ~2-8% cashback from Bing.com. I know when I got my lense they had 7% back through J&R (which now is only 5%) which brought the price down another $31 or so :D . Only thing is you have to wait up to 2 months to get that cashback, but it is well worth it!

HTH and Good luck with your lense purchase! If you don't go Canon, I have heard really good things about the 90mm Tamron. And on a side note, I just picked up a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 and am very pleased with the build quality. (although I am still an amatuer)

jakano
10/22/2009, 09:23 AM
There are several options to make your existing lenses work as macros. You can mount a 50mm lens backwards on the camera and get some pretty amazing shots. You will need to buy an adapter ring and a 50mm lens if you don't already have one. You don't even have to buy a canon mount lens either since you are just mounting it backwards any way it doesn't matter what brand or speed of lens. But if you could find a used canon nifty fifty (50mm, 1.8) you might as well since you can use it for other photos as well. And with another type of adapter ring you can then mount that 50mm backwards to the front of another lens and get even more magnification. It helps when doing setups like this to use focus stacking to get all of the subject in focus at the same time since the depth of field on a reverse setup is very shallow.