PDA

View Full Version : Baffle question??

jesterns2
10/20/2009, 09:47 AM
I am making a sump. My flow rates will be slow (350GPH) because I want the Cheato to be able to work. Question 1) Can I use 1/8 inch glass or should I just go with 1/4 inch? Question 2) Do I need to leave a small gap between the baffles and the sides of the tank?

Thanks!!

uncleof6
10/20/2009, 10:50 AM
I am making a sump. My flow rates will be slow (350GPH) because I want the Cheato to be able to work. Question 1) Can I use 1/8 inch glass or should I just go with 1/4 inch? Question 2) Do I need to leave a small gap between the baffles and the sides of the tank?

Thanks!!

I am absolutely baffled by your question.

1/4" is the minimum baffle thickness, as 1/8" is too thin and too easily broken. A small gap 1/16" is sufficient for silicone to get between the baffle and side glass for adhesion.

The flow rate through your sump should be determined by the requirements of the life in your tank, not what your wad of Chaetomorpha wants. 350 gph is low for a medium to high bio loaded 75 gal reef tank. 750 gph would be more reasonable. With a good sump design, you could control the flow through the "fuge" to 350 gph, so your chaeto would not starve. (and it would get what it needed regardless of the flow anyway) You would need a pump that would flow 1100 gph after head/friction loss to do it. This flow is separate and does not replace the mixing flow requirments in the tank itself. (closed loop/powerheads)

If your macro won't grow, and your nitrate and phosphats are near zero, then the limiting factor is not the flow, rather the lack of nutrients in the system, and the macro is not needed.

Regards,

Jim