PDA

View Full Version : Grahams tank of the month.

SeanT
04/06/2003, 10:20 AM
Hey Graham,
It looks great.
I was hoping you would do me a favor and post a pic of the inside of your canopy.
I am curious to see how your lighting is mounted.

Thank you.

:thumbsup:

G-money
04/06/2003, 12:28 PM
Hey SeanT

Thanks!

I have 2 pics handy but can take new ones if you like.
Let me know...

G-money
04/06/2003, 12:29 PM
...and the other

SeanT
04/06/2003, 05:20 PM
Sweet and cool.
I have 2 VHO bulbs with my dual mh set up.
Do you think the additional VHO bulbs obscure a significant portion of your mh lighting from getting to the water?

G-money
04/06/2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by SeanT
Do you think the additional VHO bulbs obscure a significant portion of your mh lighting from getting to the water?

The rear bulb doesn't obscure the halides at all. The lower front VHO catches a little of the halides' light, but I don't think it's need for much concern. When I used Iwasakis, the halides were a little more obscured due to the longer length of Iwsakis than Ushois. But anyway, there's plenty of light there IMO! The VHO doesn't get significantly warmer than the other VHOs either which I would think would happen if it was catching a lot of light.

Of course, the 2 "extra" VHOs are mainly for looks. My next setup will most likely be planned to use only halides - probably 250W Iwasakis and 400W Radiums.

SeanT
04/07/2003, 07:28 AM
Tank you veddy much sirrah.

Lickert
04/08/2003, 07:37 AM
Graham,
Do you have any problems with your water temp being that High?

So many people say do not let your tank get above 78. Your tank looks great.

G-money
04/08/2003, 10:35 AM
Lickert,

Thank you!

No, as long as the temp stays below 86, I've never had a problem. I think many folks keep their tanks in the 80-84 range. Any reef I've ever dove has had temps of 80 or more as well...

I have noticed coral stress when temps are prolonged at 86 or higher though and this tank has hit 88 a couple times. Nothing significant happened though, but the elevated temps only lasted a day or so. A couple things paled a bit, but recovered no problem. Still, under 84 is what I shoot for with daily fluctuation of 4 degrees or less.

nbeutler
04/08/2003, 11:45 AM
Great tank Graham,

I was wondering if you have any pictures of the 'overflow' you implimented handy?

G-money
04/08/2003, 12:41 PM
nbeutler,

No, not handy, but I can snap a couple tonight...

J4Life
04/08/2003, 09:22 PM
Graham,
Love the tank. Very nice. I have a 75 gallon that is ran with just 4 110watt VHO's and have had great success with SPS's, LPS's, & Softies. I was wondering what kind of anenome that is in your tank. I am looking for another one to put into mine later on down the road. I had one that I thought was a long tentacle that got very large, 12-14 inches in diameter. Had to get rid of it, started moving around my tank.

Thanks,
Bill

Oh one more thing. Any chance you can post some pics of your sump setup. Would really appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Bill:p

2socrates
04/09/2003, 08:05 AM
Great tank. I am just getting into the hobby and read your article in Reefkeeping.

I have a similar setup, although, I am still trying to put together the money for the lighting setup.

I do have one question though, your article does not mention how you dose your calcium. Reactor, supplements, or Kalk?

G-money
04/09/2003, 09:21 AM
bgerrard,

Thank you for the compliment!
Sure, I'll get some pics of my salt-encrusted sump up here by this weekend :). That's one of the "neglected" maintenance areas that I spoke of...

2socrates,

Thank you. I thought I mentioned the calcium reactor in there somewhere...it's a dual stage reactor and I use CaribSea crushed coral for media. It's fed by a ball-valved "T" from the main tank's return pump. The effluent drips into a cup in the skimmer chamber of the sump so that pH impact is minimal to nil by the time the effluent water reaches the main tank.

Bill W
04/10/2003, 01:32 PM
Hey Graham

Fantastic tank, well done. :thumbsup:

I'm new to reefs, or will be when I get everything together, I'm determined to learn as much as possible through reading & advice from experienced reef-keepers before I take the plunge.

You mentioned in the article that you consider in-tank circulation to be "far and away more important than sump-to-tank turnover".
How low a sump-to-tank turnover would you say was the absolute minimum as long as there is sufficient in-tank turnover provided by powerheads and the like?

Congrats

Bill

G-money
04/11/2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Bill W
How low a sump-to-tank turnover would you say was the absolute minimum as long as there is sufficient in-tank turnover provided by powerheads and the like?

Hi Bill and thank you!

I'd really be hesitant to say because every system is different. I don't think there's an absolute value you can assign based on tank or sump volume. I would wager that if you have a skimmer and/or refugium (even a DSB section) in your sump, the lower flow the better as it would allow more contact time between the water and the mechanisms of nutrient export/assimilation.

It's good to get other opinions though! :D

wedfr
04/12/2003, 12:16 AM
Graham, awesome tank!!!

Im settiing up a new 75 gallon and was thinking about doing the overflows like you have, i dont want to waste tank space with a full height overflow. I just wanted to find out if youd go with the current setup you have again or if youd change to a drilled botttom and full height overflow? Also are you using a durso standpipe at all or anything to quiet them down? anddd lastly are they nosiy at all???

Thanks
Danny

wedfr
04/12/2003, 12:18 AM
oh also , since i am also going to use my 30 old 30 gallon tank as a sump do you mind posting some pics of yrou sump as well.

G-money
04/13/2003, 07:01 PM
Here are some sump pics.
If you would like to see a closer view of anything, let me know...

G-money
04/13/2003, 07:01 PM
left side

G-money
04/13/2003, 07:02 PM
right side

overflow pics coming soon...

G-money
04/13/2003, 07:03 PM
sorry, right side:

G-money
04/13/2003, 09:43 PM
right overflow (in tank portion):

G-money
04/13/2003, 09:45 PM
overflow (above water portion)....not much to see here.

So, no Durso, no nothing except the bulkhead and 1" PVC pipe. I had a "professional" (old LFS owner) drill, fit, and seal the bulkheads. In the outside plumbing pics you can see the side vent pipe which is necessary or you will have major "blub-blubbing". It needs to rise above the level of the bulkhead as well or you will have water flying out of it. I put a piece of sponge in them to dampen the slight woosh of water as well.

This method is not completely silent, but I have been able to get it very quiet. The tank is in the living room and it's in no way intrusive.

I don't have the overflows working at capacity though either, and if I increase the return pump's flow a bit, the overflows become considerably noisier.

Anyway, I find the main benefit (more tank room) to outweigh the main drawback (not silent) and it is an excellent option for tanks up to 120 gallons IMO. Personally, I would probably just do a regular overflow on anything larger than a 120...

Hope this is useful info...

reeftacular
04/14/2003, 04:44 PM
Graham;
Totally awesome tank dude!!! Tanks like yours are the reason I got into reefing! I bet you never thought you'd be so popular with your tank! I really appreciate as I'm sure the others do, your taking the time to answer everyone's questions. I am in the process of setting up a tank the same dimensions as yours. I basically want to keep the same corals as you so I am very interested in your success. I had the back of my tank drilled the same locations as yours planning on using them for returns as I had a overflow box, (yes I hated to waste the space!) installed in the middle back of the tank. I'm thinking of using one with an Ocean currents 'rotating pulser' to create the water havoc needed and attaching a spraybar to the other. what do you think? How many holes would you put in the spraybar and how far above the substrate? Also, I have a Rio 2500 (about 550 GPH) as my return pump in the sump. What other PH's would you include? I have been saving for this tank & it has taken me 1 year to get this far and I am just about ready to go. I have 2-250w MH's & 2-110w PFO's. I have a friend that is going to do all the electrical connections for me for free! Needless to say, I am using the time to make sure I have done everything right! I also am using a 10 gal aquarium tank for a refugium. any and all comments are welcome!
Thanks!!! :beachbum:

PGurns
04/18/2003, 08:01 AM
Great tank. Ironically I have almost the exact same tank setup including the temp and salinity parameters it is only about 6 months old at this point and I can only hope to achieve the results you have. Good work!

I have 2 questions first off do you by any chance have any pictures of your rockwork layout before the corals went in?

Secondly can you provide me some more details regarding the phyto setup.? I would love to do the same thing to feed my filter feeders and my Scleronephthya. A quick rundown and maybe any links that you found helpful would be great.

Thanks
Paul

PGurns
04/18/2003, 08:03 AM
I just found the other thread in which you detail the phyto setup. :)

Still curious about the rockwork though.

Paul

G-money
04/18/2003, 02:52 PM
Paul,

Yes, I do in fact have pics. Can't remember if they are digital or not though:o I'll check when I get home. I took some early ones with a regular camera. Also, the rockwork has changed a bit since the original layout, but for all intensive purposes it's the same. There is a little bit of vertical PVC support on the left side formation.

BTW, great signature! :lol:

jcm1229
04/18/2003, 03:25 PM
Nice Tank and pics!! I'm going to convert a 75 FW to reef soon and am going to get the tank drilled. Any more details on the hole placement?? I know you havethem upper left and Upper right - but any more details - how far from top and side?? How close do you have the tank to the wall and any pics of the Pvc plumbing from the back??

Any help or pics on your setup will be helpful in my planning.

Thanks!

J4Life
04/18/2003, 06:06 PM
Graham,
Sorry that I haven't responded to the pictures of the sump. I have been out of the loop for a bit. Thanks for posting them I really appreciate it.

I really like the setup of your tank. I have a 75 gallon reef and it is the same dimensions as your 90 gallon minus the extra 3'' in height.

Hope to achieve the same good looking results as you have accept using VHO's instead of MH's

Thanks again and here is a couple of pics of my 75 gallon reef.

Hope you enjoy them,
Bill:D

Full Tank Shot
http://the-gerrards.no-ip.com/images/Tank1.jpg

Left Side Close Up
http://the-gerrards.no-ip.com/images/LSTank.jpg

Middle Close Up
http://the-gerrards.no-ip.com/images/MTank.jpg

Right Side Close Up
http://the-gerrards.no-ip.com/images/RSTank.jpg

PGurns
04/19/2003, 08:11 AM
Yes, I do in fact have pics.......

Thanks, I can't wait to see them. I only have 2 very small coral frags at the moment so changing my rockwork around should not be too hard. I also have some pvc holding up my rockwork and although I was quite happy with it at first now I don't like it. From what I've read and heard though that is the nature of this hobby :) can't seem to stop fussing with the stuff LOL. Well look forwared to seeing the pics and thanks a bunch.

Paul

G-money
04/19/2003, 11:34 AM
Sorry Paul, it seems those pics were on regular film. I can't find them on the computer...

My only advice is try to picture what types of corals you will be keeping and the available real estate. Try to imagine where you will put which type of coral. Obviously more horizontal surface area will allow you more placement options than using up your rock's surface area to build vertical formations.

I've found that a 90 gallon is actually not a very desirable dimension for aquascaping. The 24" height and 18" width kind of force you to use your rock upward instead of spread outward - especially if you don't want it to touch the tank's walls. I decided to support some of the rock with the walls of the tank and it led to nuisance algae growth in those areas.

PGurns
04/19/2003, 02:34 PM
NP, Thanks for trying. I guess I will leave mine alone for now. I am having a house built, which should be done around September, so I was trying to hold off adding any livestock until after the move. I just can't seem to stop wanting to change something though LOL. Thanks again and congrats on TOTM honors, from the looks of it you deserve it.

Paul

dwall174
04/20/2003, 12:17 AM
Congratulation on getting the tank of the month :celeb3:

I’m still in the process of setting up my system (check gallery) I can only hope my tank looks ½ that good in a couple years! I agree with you about drilling the back! All my bulkheads in the system are through the back :D I used a modified version of the Durso system for (HOB overflow) to eliminate the slurping & gurgling sounds.

jcm1229
04/21/2003, 07:03 AM
Nice 75. Any more info on your 75?? DSB?? Sump?? etc ...

Thanks!

J4Life
04/21/2003, 07:33 AM
Hey jcm1229,
I do have a sump tank. It pretty much is providing mainly away for water to circulate. I have it 20 gallon tank that has a 6" divider in it and on one side is a box that used to hold bio balls that have been replaced with some LR and on the other side I have a Mag 7 pump for a return sitting on about an 1 to 1-1/2 aragonite base that holds some smaller pieces of LR and a little bit of macro algae.

I was using a CPR bakpak protein skimmer, but have been skimmerless for about 2 months and every thins is doing just fine.
The DSB is made up of 3-1/2" to 4" inches of plain old play sand that had been in the tank for almost a year and seeded with lots of stuff from IPSF.com. I recently was able to get my hands on 5 bags of Southdown and added two of them on top of the old sand and now have a beautiful bright white layer of about 2-1/2"inches deep. Love the stuff. Wish I had it sooner, but the regular old play sand did just fine.

I do not have a calcium reactor and probably never will. I just add Kents Tech CB in the mornings and top of with a gallon or so of fresh RO water and my PH, Alk, & Calcium are always where I want them to be.

HTH's,
Bill:)

1bad_e46-bmer
04/21/2003, 03:46 PM
Hey Graham awesome tank!!! I was wondering if you were satisfied with the detrivore kit from ISPF? I am thinking about ordering one myself!:rollface:

G-money
04/22/2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by 1bad_e46-bmer
Hey Graham awesome tank!!! I was wondering if you were satisfied with the detrivore kit from ISPF? I am thinking about ordering one myself!:rollface:

Thank you. :)

Yes, I was completely satisfied with IPSF's detritivore kit. I ordered it in late Novermber and when shipping to MN, that means it's cold! Every single thing arrived alive and well-packed, although this was 2-1/2 years ago...When I move this summer, I will be ordering from them as soon as the tank is set up again.

hoopscity
04/22/2003, 07:23 PM
hi graham,

congrats on TOTM! That is truly a beautiful tank. question about your camera gear :D

I have the exact same camera, and i was wondering what lens attachments are you using for some of your shots?

thx!

percula99
04/23/2003, 12:26 PM
Hey Graham, absolutely top notch reef you've got. I'll bet you can sit there and watch it forever.

Thank you for taking the time to give so much useful feedback to everyone who has posted. I hope you can do one more.

I have a brown gorgonian. like the one in your tank. I have had mine for about two months now, and last week it closed up completely. It only partially opens now, and only for limited amounts of time. Nothing has changed in the tank recently, water parameters are all perfect, except KH (Carbonate Hardness) is a little low, 6, but within acceptable range. I am buffering to get it back up, and watching my PH as I do. Everything else is at perfect readings. My lighting is three MH 250 watt 6500K, on for 12 hours, two VHO actinics on for 14 hours. All other corals are doing well. There is moderate current where it is located. The gorgonian moves a little, but is not bent over due to excessive water flow.

Any ideas. I attached a picture from your tank just to make sure we are talking aboout the same coral.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have.

G-money
04/23/2003, 02:38 PM
percula99,

Thank you for the compliment! :D

It's hard to say what the problem is. My gorgonian has closed a portion of one arm in the past, but that was because it was rubbing on the Monti. cap above and to the right of it. Mine also gets a good deal of current, so I don't think that's the issue...unless you have a direct stream shooting at it.

Maybe look for a fish or other animal that may be bothering it. I would think that other corals in your tank would act up due to any water quality issues before the gorgonian. Sorry, I don't know what else to tell you...

Skipper
04/27/2003, 06:13 PM
Wow, Graham! So many questions/answers. Good job, bud. :)

percula99: You said your gorgonian is in moderate current. Try increasing the current a bit. Gorgonians like a good, brisk current.

hoopscity
04/27/2003, 08:27 PM
graham,

i dunno if you missed my last post, but what macro lenses are you using for your cybershot?

thanks.

G-money
04/28/2003, 09:14 PM
Mike,

Sorry, I missed it.
I'm using a Tiffen +7, +10 set but all those macros are with the +7 only (they can be combined for up to +17). You need an adapter which will run about $10 if I remember correctly and the lens set was right around $45. I bought them online, don't remember where. All I did was search for "Sony Cybershot DSC-S75 macro lens" on Google and went with the vendor who had the best price. There are other brands out there as well. I would probably recommend a set with a little less magnification, because the higher the mag, the closer your subject needs to be to be in focus. With +7, you're limited to within about 4-5" to get a good shot. I'd go less and will probably get a lower set soon. I think I've seen a +1, +2, +4 set somewhere...HTH.

sedgewick
04/28/2003, 10:42 PM
Graham, very nice tank indeed. I'm new to the hobby and have been looking at tanks with built in overflows, but am curious to know more about how your overflow bulkheads work. I looked at your pics, but being new to the hobby, I'm not sure I completely get how they work. If you could explain a bit, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks and congrats.

Rock Anemone
05/17/2003, 10:47 AM
Bill W,
[welcome]

Rock Anemone:D

3twenty5
05/20/2003, 09:46 AM
Graham-

Do you have any pics or closeup of the sump.refuge? or maybe even your drawing plan. I am looking to make a sump/refuge for my 60 gallon tank, I am looking to build a sump/refuge which will allow high flow thru the sump back to the main tank, while keeping the flow low in the refuge area. I would love to hear your ideas..

beach
05/26/2003, 06:07 AM
beautiful tank graham.one ?.when you get a patch of hair algae how do you deal with it.thanks beach

MalHavoc
05/29/2003, 12:16 PM
Hey, Graham,

sorry for jumping into this thread so late :)

I noticed that you mentioned that you're not using standpipes for your short overflows. Is there a reason for this? Did you ever try it?

I ask because I'm thinking of going the route you did and just drilling bulkheads near the water surface and putting in short bulkheads with a standpipe a few inches tall.

G-money
06/02/2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by 3twenty5
Graham-

Do you have any pics or closeup of the sump.refuge? or maybe even your drawing plan. I am looking to make a sump/refuge for my 60 gallon tank, I am looking to build a sump/refuge which will allow high flow thru the sump back to the main tank, while keeping the flow low in the refuge area. I would love to hear your ideas..

Sorry to reply so late.

I can look for pics at home, but I know there are no real good detailed ones. The sump is pretty caked with coralline and choked with macroalgae growth.

I created compartments with 1/4" acrylic siliconed to the walls and bottom of the tank. The problem is that as long as the sump and refuge are one unit (even compartmentalized), the flow through it is determined by the volume your return pump is pushing. There is no way to avoid this as far as I know. I'm afraid you will need a separate volume of water containing your refugium if you want a slower flow.

Out of curiosity, why do you want a high flow sump? IMO, in-tank curculation should be high, but sump flow need not be high. As long as your tank's volume goes through the sump at least 3 or 4 times/hr. There is no real benefit to having high sump flow - especially if it contains a skimmer, DSB, and/or refugium. This is just my opinion and personal practice...

G-money
06/02/2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by beach
beautiful tank graham.one ?.when you get a patch of hair algae how do you deal with it.thanks beach

Swear at it. :lol:

Just kidding...I leave it if it appears it is not spreading or encroaching on desirable livestock.

If it is spreading, I pick as much as I can by hand and try to increase water flow in the area. In addition, I will "turkey-baste" the area every other night or so. I find that hair will almost always grow in areas where flow is lower and live rock is touching glass. I assume these are areas where food gets trapped...

As a whole though, any plague proportions of hair algae indicate a problem that needs to be addressed proactively (nutrient balance), not retroactively (harvesting).

G-money
06/02/2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by MalHavoc
Hey, Graham,

sorry for jumping into this thread so late :)

I noticed that you mentioned that you're not using standpipes for your short overflows. Is there a reason for this? Did you ever try it?

I ask because I'm thinking of going the route you did and just drilling bulkheads near the water surface and putting in short bulkheads with a standpipe a few inches tall.

I am ignorant in the ways of "proper" overflow science and terminology. :lol: Therefore, I don't really know what a standpipe is, believe it or not. Is it just a method of breaking the vacuum? If so, I "T" the drain line and run a vent pipe up along the side of the drainpipe which terminates above the drain height (or else water flows out of it). I also stuff the vent pipe with sponge in order to further eliminate "gurgle". I can run about 6-700 GPH through two 1" bulkheads with minimal noise. Much more than that and my lady starts commenting ;)