PDA

View Full Version : How does a tank "crash?"

upster
10/20/2009, 01:16 PM
I've heard the term "crash" used to describe events in a tank. What exactly does this mean and how does it happen? Does it mean that a major imbalance in the nitrogen cycle has taken place?

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/20/2009, 01:26 PM
Well, one advanced reefer told me my tank had crashed years ago due to my sand bed, and I just didn't know it. I'll avoid discussing that sort of "crash". :D

IMO, a tank crash usually comes as a response to an emergency situation (excessive limewater, power failure, excessive fresh water addition, etc). This is a clear, rapid event, often spiking ammonia and dropping O2, ammonia kills more organisms, ammonia spikes more, repeat over and over, ending in a bad death spiral for the tank.

jenglish
10/20/2009, 02:29 PM
crash is sort of a catch all phrase for sudden change from healthy to unhealthy. It can be due to a sudden problem (power out, toxin sprayed into tank) or something slowly building up and only being noticable all at once. Typically multiple deaths before you can figure out what was going on or how to fix it. A tank can theoretically go forever without a crash but Murphy's Law makes that very unlikely :lol:

lougotzz
10/20/2009, 04:23 PM
When your dog jumps on it and it tips over.

upster
10/21/2009, 12:19 PM
Great responses, thanks so much for clearing that up.

Geeze, I remember this old 33g freshie I had set up in my room when I was a teenager. I was watching it in the middle of the night as I was laying in my bed. Boy did I get a shock when the entire front pane cracked from seam to seam right before my eyes.

I've never jumped to action quicker in my life!

Ellie2103
10/21/2009, 02:20 PM
Hi
My tang crash a year ago. When I came home I saw my tang empty. I had a purple tank.yellow tank, a sailfan tank, Hypo tank, 6lines. All of them were belly upside down in the buttom of the tank. I went to the sump and all my caulerpa was gone. Well the caulerpa got asexual and melt all the little round bubles that the caulerpa had hold the toxins, they whent staright to my tank. Crash Time.

stingythingy45
10/21/2009, 02:24 PM
Hi
My tang crash a year ago. When I came home I saw my tang empty. I had a purple tank.yellow tank, a sailfan tank, Hypo tank, 6lines. All of them were belly upside down in the buttom of the tank. I went to the sump and all my caulerpa was gone. Well the caulerpa got asexual and melt all the little round bubles that the caulerpa had hold the toxins, they whent staright to my tank. Crash Time.

I think you have your tanks and tangs crossed up.:lol:

A tank crash is a catastrophic event that results in death and destruction of all life therein.:fun4:

lordofthereef
10/21/2009, 04:26 PM
When your dog jumps on it and it tips over.

:lolspin:

jayk198030
10/21/2009, 04:32 PM
Crash= stupid people, doing stupid things... like driving a car.

ilikelps
10/21/2009, 05:17 PM
when the power goes out and your in italy

reefergeorge
10/21/2009, 05:28 PM
Well, one advanced reefer told me my tank had crashed years ago due to my sand bed, and I just didn't know it. I'll avoid discussing that sort of "crash". :D

I had the same thing. An "old school reefer" told me every tank will crash, and in the 15 years he has been reefing that he has completely started over four times. I don't except that, and believe his misfortune has a lot to do with his dsb. You cant tell him that tho. :rolleyes:

I try to keep my tank as simple, and manual as possible. My biggest fear is a power failure while I'm at work.

jbird69
10/21/2009, 06:21 PM
I think crashes are getting more and more avoidable with more widespread knowledge and information. RC is a great example! Its great to learn from mistakes. Its even better when the mistakes arent your own.