PDA

View Full Version : Help!! - Snow storm or sustained gunk?

ItsMee
10/20/2009, 03:59 PM
I just stirred "Gunk" up in my sump/fuge while installing a new filter sock - BTW I didn't know I was supposed to rinse it first! How will this affect my water quality? Needless to say, my skimmer is not working and the display has good flow so everything from the sump was stirred up and now I don't know if there is a snow storm (Test kit may indicate this?) or if it is because stuff is stil being suspended from the sump.

My new test kit indicates that my calcium is at a whopping 540 ppm
Alkalinity is at 11-12 DKH (it turned yellowish at 11 drops and "bright yellow" per instructions at 12 drops so I guess it is more lik 11.5-12 dkh)
My PH is at 8.40

Do these parameters indicate that there is a snow storm?

Obviously I should not add any kalk for awhile, what would YOU do if it was YOUR tank?

Thanks in advance, and my apologies for being a no0b :frog:

Billybeau1
10/20/2009, 06:58 PM
You did not had a snow storm I don't think. Your parameters look fine. Probably just the gunk you stirred up. It should be clear by morning. :)

deuce2002
10/20/2009, 07:02 PM
i think youll be fine ive done it before myself.if you are worried a WC wouldnt hurt.

ItsMee
10/21/2009, 06:20 AM
Yes, it is clear this morning. The more I thought about it the more I blame the filter sock that I didn't rinse. The haze didn't seem like the regular suspended sump gunk and that is why I asked. I knew the calcium and alkalinity are kinda high, higher than I have ever had them, and that is what made me paranoid about the snow storm. When a snow storm does happen, can it be a small one, or are they all-or-nothing, really intense or none at all?

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/21/2009, 06:51 AM
When a snow storm does happen, can it be a small one, or are they all-or-nothing, really intense or none at all?

They vary, but usually are substantial, and most often are caused by high pH, not high calcium or alkalinity unless they get super high. I show some here:

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium?
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/index.htm

ItsMee
10/21/2009, 07:23 AM
Thank you for your early morning response Randy. Do you happen to know anything about how an un-rinsed filter sock may affect water quality?

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/21/2009, 07:28 AM
Unrinsed having what on it? The gunk it collected from the tank? That's not a bid deal, IMO.

ItsMee
10/21/2009, 07:32 AM
I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. The filter sock was brand spank'n new and never been used. I didn't know I was supposed to rinse it the first time before using it. I don't know what causes the excess foam, but my skimmer will not work because of it.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/21/2009, 01:01 PM
GAC may help, but you might just need to wait it out.

ItsMee
10/21/2009, 08:43 PM
Ok cool. So I take it there is nothing in new filter socks that if not rinsed first that will negatively affect water quality other than excess foam? Does anyone know what causes the excess foam?

bertoni
10/21/2009, 11:45 PM
The filter sock might have ad a bit of some chemical that's causing foaming. If so, all you can do is wait. It's unlikely that the tank is in any danger.