PDA

View Full Version : PVC Plumbing - Ball Valves and Unions

milkman55
10/20/2009, 04:05 PM
I see you can buy ball valves with single and double unions or without any unions.

It looks significantly cheaper to buy slip ball valves and single unions separately than to buy ball valves with single unions attached.

Any reasons why one is preferable over the other?

uncleof6
10/20/2009, 04:08 PM
Less leak points with all in one.

Jim

stugray
10/20/2009, 05:12 PM
Not to mention, they are more compact.

AND Dont use the "el-cheapo" ball valves from HD or Lowes.

In SW, they stick and get very hard to turn. This causes one to apply a LOT of force when turning one & puts strain on the plumbing.

If I ever do it again, I will use the more expensive true union ball valves.

For some things I actually prefer the gate valves....

Stu

Rhodes19
10/20/2009, 05:22 PM
Where is a good place to buy these? I was going to go with HD/Lowes but that sounds like a bad idea.

uncleof6
10/20/2009, 05:38 PM
It is, they are cheap and prone to leaking. Grainger can probably come up with something in a more reliable price range. I use spears valves for ball valves (you can disassemble them completely.) This also shows the gates I use.

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/uncleof6/DSCN0247.jpg

Jim

Phisher
10/20/2009, 07:06 PM
I've used these from Lowes quite a bit.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=209667-34146-P200U-40&lpage=none

Some of them are hard to turn even new but they seem to be a lot better than the non-union ball valves you can get there.

I ordered my spa flex and gate valves from www.savko.com.

stugray
10/20/2009, 09:27 PM
Uncle,

Those gate valves are exactly the same that my local hardware store carries. :bum:

I have never seen a TUBV disassembled that far!

Phisher,

Those look very good. Does Lowes carry them in house or only online?

AND - one thing to keep in mind - Not ALL Unions are compatible.

I thought that it would be a "no brainer" to have unions compatible between vendors.... stupid me.

If you use a particular vendor for unions, Buy extras! You wont always be able to find one when you need it from the corner HW store.

Stu

uncleof6
10/20/2009, 09:59 PM
Uncle,

Those gate valves are exactly the same that my local hardware store carries. :bum:

Stu

The surprising part is it actually will go back together.:D

You can play with the compression on the ball just a little. Easy to turn.

J

Phisher
10/21/2009, 05:57 AM
Uncle,

Phisher,

I thought that it would be a "no brainer" to have unions compatible between vendors.... stupid me.

If you use a particular vendor for unions, Buy extras! You wont always be able to find one when you need it from the corner HW store.

Stu

My local store stocks them from 1/2" to 2".

Phisher
10/21/2009, 05:58 AM
Uncle,

Phisher,

Stu

My local store stocks them from 1/2" to 2".

Phisher
10/21/2009, 05:58 AM
Uncle,

Phisher,

Stu

The Lowes here does.

Rhodes19
10/21/2009, 06:20 AM
Thanks Jim.