PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal for a skimmer to randomly change water level?

MikeD88
10/21/2009, 03:39 PM
I have a bermuda 5c protein skimmer on my 75 gallon reef. Usualy it runs about an inch away from the neck of the cup and will bubble over during the day. This morning it was running about 2 inches away from the neck of the cup and had a longer way to travel for the bubbles to pour over and into the cup. My water level stays constant for the most part as I top of every day, if not twice a day. Its only about a year old, and it has a magdrive 12 powering it. Is it normal for the skimmer levels to change for no reason or is there something I need to adjust? Can someone please help me with this? Thankyou!

JEFFRO33
10/21/2009, 03:44 PM
I recently had a similar problem.I removed the skimmer and cleaned as much as i could .This includes the pump.Now all appears to work fine.

MikeD88
10/21/2009, 04:12 PM
I recently had a similar problem.I removed the skimmer and cleaned as much as i could .This includes the pump.Now all appears to work fine.

Ok, I actualy just cleaned the pump and skimmer like only a week ago... do you think its just a normal thing and will go back to normal on its own?

dahenley
10/21/2009, 08:41 PM
if your sump doesn't have a designated chamber with a constant water level then the water level will change constantly and the skimmer bubble/foam level will constantly change.

with a new skimmer, the water level can fluctuate for a while till it gets seasoned and broke in. break in time fluctuates from weeks to months. it might be pulling a good head, but after a month or so, the skimmer will be very consistent. all i do to my skimmer is clean it. every week it seems to pull more and more with the same feeding. good luck

eshark
10/22/2009, 10:50 AM
sometimes the water level rises due to salt creep starting to plug the airline which will let the pump push more water through. Check the air hose.