PDA

View Full Version : How many of you "sight test"?

BLKTANG
10/21/2009, 06:16 PM
Well after the guy who dont wanna do WC's thread ive been feeling guilty,BUT with good reason not to.

Ive been Reefkeeping since early 2003,(not a long time in reefkeeping standards)but for over a year now i have kept up weekly WC's but havent TESTED ANYTHING.

But i can tell right away if something is wrong with my Reef.

So be honest.

Who else dosent test?

jbird69
10/21/2009, 06:28 PM
I only test the "coral triangle" ca/alk/mag. And I do it pertty spuratically. If I remember Ill check sg.

nif
10/21/2009, 06:29 PM
I do the same except I check my alk every other week just to make sure my calc reactor is doing its thing.

jayk198030
10/21/2009, 06:30 PM
test? what test? i was never good at tests.

BLKTANG
10/21/2009, 06:38 PM
test? what test? i was never good at tests.

:lol:

Misled
10/21/2009, 07:02 PM
I have been keeping up with my water changes since I started my 54, didn't use to in the past.

I tested it when I set it up. About 9 months ago.

elegance coral
10/21/2009, 07:32 PM
Back in the day I tested for everything. Now all I test for is salinity and temperature. Some things you can actually be more accurate by using the "sight test". Phosphate test kits may not tell you when you have a phosphate problem, but the sight test sure can.

mcoomer
10/22/2009, 11:51 AM
My new controller tests temp, pH, and salinity so now all I'll have to test is Ca, Alk, and Mg. I test those pretty infrequently as they seem to be pretty stable. Every once in a great while I check for NO3 and PO4.

Mike

browntrout
10/22/2009, 11:56 AM
I only test, SG once in a while and weekly check alk/cal/mag that's it. I also do weeekly WC

DT's_Reef
10/22/2009, 11:58 AM
I watch coralline algae (bleaching) and my pH meter. This pretty much tells me where my alkalinity is at. I like to keep my alk around 8.0 or a tad higher. Basically so my morning pH is 8.0. If my pH is 7.9 or lower in the morning, then I know Alk needs to be brought up a bit and I adjust the dosage of 2-part solution.

If alkalinity isn't too high, then my CA is right where it needs to be (I have a Profilux doser).

I test for magnesium every few months or so just in case. It rarely needs to be adjusted as long as I do somewhat regular water changes.

IslandCrow
10/22/2009, 11:58 AM
With my soft coral tank, I don't test anything (though I do have a PH monitor). When I had stoney corals, like jbird, I did test Ca, Alkalinity and Mg since I knew my demands would change as my corals grew. I only tested them about once a month once I got my supplement dosing dialed in, though. A well maintained tank should never have detectable levels of ammonia or nitrites, and if your nitrates or phosphates are elevated, there are generally signs. In other words, BLKTNG, I don't think you have anything to feel guilty about. Often times, just knowing your tank and paying attention to its subtleties is better than any test kit you can buy.

homeboyreefer
10/22/2009, 05:49 PM
I watch coralline algae (bleaching) and my pH meter. This pretty much tells me where my alkalinity is at. I like to keep my alk around 8.0 or a tad higher. Basically so my morning pH is 8.0. If my pH is 7.9 or lower in the morning, then I know Alk needs to be brought up a bit and I adjust the dosage of 2-part solution.

If alkalinity isn't too high, then my CA is right where it needs to be (I have a Profilux doser).

I test for magnesium every few months or so just in case. It rarely needs to be adjusted as long as I do somewhat regular water changes.

what is the relationship between ph and alkalinity DT, i'd love to know as that might be another indicator for me when i'm quickly glancing at my controller

ddinox64
10/22/2009, 06:55 PM
My last test was Sept. 22 and only because another reefer came over. July 27 before that. I haven't done a water change since I set it up. Actually it was an upgrade form a 30g to a 90g. But I did the move June 26th and haven't done a water change since. I did make some water a week ago(30gallons) BUT HAVEN'T USED IT YET.

Stanley-Reefer
10/22/2009, 07:18 PM
I check salinity before and after a water change just to be sure.

I use the 6 in 1 dipsticks and a bottle of 100 lasts me over a year in both tanks.

I look at my animals...

IslandCrow
10/23/2009, 08:26 AM
what is the relationship between ph and alkalinity DT, i'd love to know as that might be another indicator for me when i'm quickly glancing at my controller

PH is a function of dissolved CO2 and alkalinity. I also use PH as an indicator of whether or not my alkalinity is in check. It's certainly not foolproof, but if I know I generally have a PH of 8.2 during a certain time of day, and it's at 8.0, it may be an indicator that my alkalinity is getting low (or that my PH probe needs recalibration). Also, since alkalinity acts as a PH buffer, if I'm noticing larger swings in PH throughout the day, that may also be an indicator of low alkalinity. Of course, all of this is assuming my CO2 content hasn't changed, and that's something I simply don't know for sure.

There's a chart in one of Randy's articles in the Reef Chemistry forum that illustrates the relationship, and the associated article explains it much better than I have. In short, PH can be an indicator, but you can't necessarily rely on it.

erniemo
10/23/2009, 08:42 AM
My tank is 300g and 5 yrs old. I used to check everything all the time but now I only check salinity now and then and temperature every day. Once or twice a year for Ca/Alk/Mg. I do use a large calcium reactor and top off with Kalk.

PoukieBear
10/23/2009, 09:18 AM
I don't even own test kits.

AndrewG
10/23/2009, 02:10 PM
I'm in same boat as poukiebear. I had a test kit buried in the cabinet somewhere but can't say I've used it in the last three years. The reagents are rpobably long expired. I don't remember last time I checked the salinity. The water change just takes a cup and dip of salt. Big tank small bioload lets one get away with a lot more.

BLKTANG
10/23/2009, 02:17 PM
I don't even own test kits.

Ha me either:dance:

Salifert aint got nothin on these eye's.

I bet i could list my params before checking & be within 20ppm on all the critical ones CA,ALK,&MG.

SG,PH,PO4,No3 are all perfect.I just know.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/23/2009, 02:44 PM
I really only monitor salinity, temperature and pH, but I'd be reluctant to recommend that to anyone who does not have a well established tank that they already know operates at OK parameters for long periods.

cloak
10/23/2009, 03:39 PM
Given time, when you've honed your skills, you really don't have to do anything but watch.

jenglish
10/23/2009, 10:15 PM
I watched Mg very closely when I had it elevated for bryopsis... since I stopped that I have not tested in 6-9 months.

cody6766
10/24/2009, 12:43 AM
I test alk and Ca randomly. If they dip low, I check daily (more or less) and dose until it's right. I don't have a Ca reactor, so testing/dosing is needed. Otherwise, only Sg when doing water changes.

lordofthereef
10/24/2009, 01:16 AM
I check infrequently, maybe once a month to six weeks, but I do check. I am of the opinion that once you SEE the issue the problem has been going on too long. I would rather catch things early (and I know 4-6 week tests wont necessarily catch everything early) than late.

Inked414
10/24/2009, 06:03 PM
I hate testing. Sight test is good enough for me.

spamreefnew
10/24/2009, 06:24 PM
test sg alot,,test ca alk trate,,when i can afford the friggin kits:)