PDA

View Full Version : Have $200 in credit from LFS any ideas on a cool fish?

Sigmund
10/22/2009, 09:16 AM
So by turning in propagated ricordia and frogspawn corals to my LFS for store credit I now have $200 burning a hole in my pocket that I want to use towards a cool, and expensive fish. Would like to get something out of the ordinary, and or more expensive, something I might be hesitant about spending cold hard cash on, but can justify as a treat for the hard work in propagating the corals. Any suggestions?

Fish would be going into my 150gallon reef tank. Current inhabitants are:
Potter Angel - 3in
Venustus Angel - 3in
Peppermint Hogfish - 3.5in
Ocellaris Clown Pair - 3in / 1.5in
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse - 3.5in (Male)
Ring Eye Jawfish - 3.5in
Possum Wrasse - 1.5in
Circus Goby - 1.5in

Current inhabitants all get along well, Potters is the most aggressive fish in the tank, but usually leaves other fish alone after a day or so.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, no Tangs, just do not like them, don't know why, just don't. Willing to chip in some of my own $ for something good.
:-)

kirkaz
10/22/2009, 09:29 AM
Sargassum Trigger

Gwynhidwy
10/22/2009, 09:33 AM
I would add a trio or pair of Genicanthus watanabei. You could chip in some cash for three females or a little more for two females and a male, or just go with a pair. Gorgeous fish, peaceful, and fun to watch as a group.

michael_cb_125
10/22/2009, 09:34 AM
"Expensive"- this word needs to be defined. ;)

The fish in my avatar is one of my all time favorites. Mine is such a funny fish to watch. He always wants to know what is going on in my office.

~Michael

Sigmund
10/22/2009, 09:58 AM
Expensive is a very relative term. Most I have paid for a fish is $200, willing to chip in $100 or $150 above the $200 I have. That's about all I can justify to myself mentally in spending. Perhaps one day I will get past this barrier, but not yet.

In regards to the other feedback the Sargassum is a great idea, but I had one for 5 years (awesome, and a Puppy dog of a fish) but looking for something that I have not had before. The Genicanthus trio is a possibility, but was hoping to get maybe one "Centerpiece" fish that would fit in with a pretty cool selection of fish already in the tank.

Keep the suggestions coming, I know there is something out there I have not considered.

flameangel88
10/22/2009, 10:05 AM
Since you already have a Venustus in your tank I think it would be awesome to see a Colin's and Multibarred angels in the mix.

NexDog
10/22/2009, 10:07 AM
I'm boring but pair of Regal Angels is on my list.

kirkaz
10/22/2009, 10:12 AM
Understood about already having had a Sargassum and trying something else...As such I would second a trio from the Genicanthus family...I am partial to the Lamarck's Angels and their big beautiful tails, but Watanabi is a bit more colorful and rare.

michael_cb_125
10/22/2009, 10:19 AM
I loved the Bellus angel that I had. A very active fish and more attractively colored than some of the genicanthus sp. IMO.

~Michael

Sigmund
10/22/2009, 10:48 AM
flameangel88,
Have you had any success with the Multi-Barred angel? I have always heard that they are nearly impossible to keep alive?

I have generally had good luck with difficult species, but have never heard good things about this fish in captivity. Also a little concerned about another "Centro" angel in the tank. I know the Venustus isn't exactly a "Centro" but he is as good as one as far as my Potters is concerned. :-)

Anyone,
Has anyone had any problems between Genicanthus and Centropyge angels together? I have never personally mixed them before.

espocrespo
10/22/2009, 12:13 PM
Helfrichi Firefish

:D

LargeAngels
10/22/2009, 12:31 PM
A pair of flame wrasses or a pair of multicolor angels would look nice.

flameangel88
10/22/2009, 12:42 PM
flameangel88,
Have you had any success with the Multi-Barred angel? I have always heard that they are nearly impossible to keep alive?

I have generally had good luck with difficult species, but have never heard good things about this fish in captivity. Also a little concerned about another "Centro" angel in the tank. I know the Venustus isn't exactly a "Centro" but he is as good as one as far as my Potters is concerned. :-)

Anyone,
Has anyone had any problems between Genicanthus and Centropyge angels together? I have never personally mixed them before.

No, I only tried a Multibarred once and it died within 3-4 days. I've seen them offered by DD lately so the next one will be from DD. I'm current working on 2 Venustus in QT where the larger male started to take in couple of pellets on each feeding and the smaller one will only nip on rocks and glass.

I've a pair of Watanabe, 2 female Bellus with a Coral Beauty, Lemonpeel and a trio of Flame without any problem. The 2 Watanabe was under 3" back in Nov 2007 and now the male is about 5.5-5.75" with the streamer. They do get big.

LuvAngels88
10/22/2009, 12:57 PM
No, I only tried a Multibarred once and it died within 3-4 days. I've seen them offered by DD lately so the next one will be from DD.

+1 on getting one from DD. I've had one for almost 3 weeks and it has been eating very well from day one. I know 3 weeks is no gauge of long-term success, but to get one that is eating is half the battle. She's little shy but is very inquisitive.

MentalDragon
10/22/2009, 01:00 PM
A pair of flame wrasses or a pair of multicolor angels would look nice.

+1 Hawaiian Flame Wrasse :) I'm acclimating mine as we speak :)

IFbettas
10/22/2009, 06:16 PM
+2 for a flame wrasse pair.

A rhomboid wrasse would be a cool substitute too.

snorvich
10/22/2009, 06:56 PM
If you wish a flame wrasse pair, get two females of different sizes. The dominant female will transition. Male flame wrasses are problematical shippers.

minhvu
10/22/2009, 07:17 PM
Flame wrasse would be awesome. I just got mine about 3 weeks ago and it definitely one of my favorite fish

Gremraf
10/22/2009, 07:20 PM
Mystery Wrasse

Sigmund
10/23/2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Really considering the Flame Wrasse pair or Genicanthus pair.

Did have a Mystery Wrasse in there, he ended up getting a little aggressive towards the Leopard Wrasse and the Peppermint Hog.

Any thoughts on whether a GoldFlake Angel would work? I've always really liked this angel, but I have only had Centropyge.

Also thought about a Cave Basslet, was just worried that the Peppermint hog wouldn't be a big fan, as the shape, colors are somewhat close.

flameangel88
10/23/2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Really considering the Flame Wrasse pair or Genicanthus pair.

Did have a Mystery Wrasse in there, he ended up getting a little aggressive towards the Leopard Wrasse and the Peppermint Hog.

Any thoughts on whether a GoldFlake Angel would work? I've always really liked this angel, but I have only had Centropyge.

Also thought about a Cave Basslet, was just worried that the Peppermint hog wouldn't be a big fan, as the shape, colors are somewhat close.

Goldflake is nice but difficult to find a healthy specimen. If you're looking for a centerpiece and a WOW factor then IMHO I would spend little more and look into a Bandit angel. Probably easier to find a healthy Bandit than a GF. This is solely my opinion and experiences.

I'm not sure if there's much behavior difference between the Cave Basslet and the Wrasse Basslet but I've the Wrasse bass with a Peppermint Hogfish without any problem. The only problem is I see the hog a lot more than the bass. The bass usually stick the head out of the rock and that's about it where the hog will swim in and out of the rocks.

here's the pic of the bass while in QT and since I haven't been able to snap one in the DT
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/reeftankpix/New%20Addition/IMG_7302.jpg