PDA

View Full Version : How do you know a sea hare is healthy?

kingfisher62
10/22/2009, 08:44 PM
I purchased a sea hare about six weeks ago to help clear up some hair algae issues. It has done a great job. Most recently i got a small foxface and I am now concerned with the two in the tank there might not be enough HA to sustain the sea hare. He is very activeand his grey and black markings look good.

How the heck do you tell if a sea hare is healthy and receiving enough nutrition? I would rather pass him on to another reefer than to see him starve.
I have grown quite fond of him . Don't ask me how someone grows fond of a slug ,but I have. I just think he is kind of cool and guest always get a kick out of it!
I would love to keep it.

What is the longest time you have kept one alive?

Flipper62
10/22/2009, 09:24 PM
Thats the problem with a sea hair. He will do a great job on cleaning up any hair algae, however once he's done you need to take it back to the LFS. If there is nothing there for him to eat, he will starve & die.

The LFS that I go to will sell you a sea hair to clean up the algae. When he's done, he will take him back in trade.

kingfisher62
10/22/2009, 09:44 PM
I wonder if they will eat nori ?
I could probably wrap a rock with some nori and place the sea hare right on it. I have done that a few times with HA patches . As soon as I placed him on a patch He would go to town on the stuff!

pleasants9
10/22/2009, 10:19 PM
if you have a local reef club, see if anyone wants to rent him off you for a few weeks.