PDA

View Full Version : Eco Cube?

6-line
10/23/2009, 05:23 AM
Anyone here run the Dr. FosterandSmiths eco cube? Looks about 25 gallons and very similiar to the Solana...I did run a search and there is some info but not much pictures or overall results from this tank...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+20024+19863&pcatid=19863

thanks

buzzbombtom
10/23/2009, 10:11 AM
exact same thing, a local got the 25 it came in a solana box...

SawdustInTank
10/23/2009, 10:16 AM
6-Line,
Demeyer2 is running the 25 gallon unit, take a look at his thread. Very nice build thread I will add. I am interested in this unit also. It seems to be the same as the standard Solona unit but smaller. If the pricing hold till X-mas time, I will definetly buy one. The link to the page you posted did not show the currect pricing for them as you can buy the unit in stadard glass for 249.99 and the high clarity front pane for 259.99. It is my understanding that you can buy only what you want from them. Thanks.

6-line
10/23/2009, 10:19 AM
thanks--i was thinking of buying stand and all with the pc fixture, the hc glass and it would bring it to about 500 even...

demeyer2
10/23/2009, 01:03 PM
Anyone here run the Dr. FosterandSmiths eco cube? Looks about 25 gallons and very similiar to the Solana...I did run a search and there is some info but not much pictures or overall results from this tank...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+20024+19863&pcatid=19863

thanks

Ya the 25 gallon 'Eco-cube' is just a Solana with a 2" smaller footprint. I haven't noticed any differences between my 25 and with anyone's 34 Solana set-ups.

6-Line,
Demeyer2 is running the 25 gallon unit, take a look at his thread. Very nice build thread I will add. I am interested in this unit also. It seems to be the same as the standard Solona unit but smaller. If the pricing hold till X-mas time, I will definetly buy one. The link to the page you posted did not show the currect pricing for them as you can buy the unit in stadard glass for 249.99 and the high clarity front pane for 259.99. It is my understanding that you can buy only what you want from them. Thanks.

Thanks! Here is the URL to my thread demeyer's 25 Gallon Solana Journal (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15904168#post15904168).
I loved the Solana design but didn't want 34 gallons to deal with. I read that the Solana setups have the low-iron glass panes but when I look down the width of the front pane, it definitely has a green tint to it and not that acrylic clear I hear Starfire people talk about. It's possible I have the standard glass version you are talking about though.

buzzbombtom
10/23/2009, 02:35 PM
as clear as day
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/buzzbombtom/tank2.jpg
this is the box it was shipped in.
same makers: current usa

here is the box for the stand
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/buzzbombtom/stand1.jpg
its the solana stand lol
hope this helps you out

SawdustInTank
12/12/2009, 09:59 AM
Well, I finally pulled the trigger on the Eco Cube today. I noticed a price drop for this tank now and so I figured now is the time to go ahead and make the purchase. The High Clarity tank is the same price as the standard version so I went with the High Clarity front pane. I am 90% done with my stand and alot more work to do with the light tree and light fixture. Its going to be slow build. I started back in September making the stand. I will start a build thread of my own to show my progress. Thanks.

SawdustInTank
12/17/2009, 06:53 PM
Well, I finally pulled the trigger on the Eco Cube today. I noticed a price drop for this tank now and so I figured now is the time to go ahead and make the purchase. The High Clarity tank is the same price as the standard version so I went with the High Clarity front pane. I am 90% done with my stand and alot more work to do with the light tree and light fixture. Its going to be slow build. I started back in September making the stand. I will start a build thread of my own to show my progress. Thanks.

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv241/dlindesey/IMG00058-20091217-1550.jpg

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv241/dlindesey/IMG00059-20091217-1550.jpg

Well ladies and gentlemen. I have officially started my Eco Cube build. Started off on the wrong foot that is. LOL. I opened the box at work and I got a nice surprise. I am terribly disappointed in the way it was packaged. No Styrofoam what so ever. Just some corner guards and that's it. I called Drs Foster Smith and they will send out a new one. I will be out of town for the holidays and I am not confident FedEx will have a new tank here by next Wednesday. So I told them to post pone the delivery of the new tank as I do not have anyone to receive it.

buttons buster
12/17/2009, 08:37 PM
oh wow that sucks.
I hope they correct it

kingfisher62
12/17/2009, 10:07 PM
Dr. Fosters will not let you down, I am sure they will take good care of you!
thats a real bummer though!

BethanyM
12/17/2009, 10:49 PM
wow, what a disappointment to open it and see that. I am glad they are sending you another!!

SawdustInTank
12/18/2009, 06:36 AM
Yeah it is a bummer. Last night I decided to tell them today to ship it out. I found someone to receive it for me. I will let you what happens. I do feel confident that they will correct this issue for me. Thanks.

lil_O_JJ
12/18/2009, 10:52 AM
talk about insuffecient packaging.... Hopefully you will have better luck with the next one. I would hate for them to have to pay again to replace their mistakes. ;)

Drag Racer
12/21/2009, 09:54 AM
On the plus side when I had any problems with anything I had from Current they send out a replacement and never asked for the return of the old part. If they dont want it back look at it as spare parts. The pump and lighting are still good right?

SawdustInTank
12/21/2009, 05:49 PM
Yes the pump,skimmer, etc. was without damage. I didn't order the light as I am making my own. I would not have complained to have the spare parts at all. :-) I had purchased it from Dr. Foster and Smith and they emailed me a return label for UPS. It was picked up today. I still await the arrival of the new one. I will update you guys when the new one arrives. Thanks.

gregzbobo
12/23/2009, 02:50 AM
Ouch, expensive box of glass shards. Hope they pack the replacement better, maybe double box it or something.

kingfisher62
12/23/2009, 09:32 AM
You are a patient one!
That's good!
It is a very important attribute to have in this hobby.

SawdustInTank
01/05/2010, 07:18 PM
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv241/dlindesey/IMG00237.jpg

Hey all. Its me again. The guy who can never start his nano build thread. LOL. I went to UPS to pick up my tank tonight. Man o man my mouth was drooling when I saw the box. The UPS clerk put it on the counter, I signed for it, picked it up put it on the floor and pulled out my knife to open the box. As I am bending over to cut the tape on the top of the box, I noticed the cut out on the side where you can grip the box was torn open. I looked closer I saw what you now see in the picture. Luckily I had my phone on me to snap a picture. It seems the way things are going I will have collected all my equipment before I can get the actual tank. LOL. I will call Drs Foster Smith in the morning and let them know whats going on. I will keep you guys updated. I am not giving up hope as I really want to get this tank. Thanks.

kingfisher62
01/05/2010, 07:32 PM
What are the odds of that? I feel for you, brother!

SBDTHRU
01/05/2010, 07:55 PM
Wow, hopefully they learn their damn lesson this time. That's rediculoussss. :furious:

SawdustInTank
01/05/2010, 09:57 PM
kingfisher62,
Thanks for the concern. It will give me time to do more research and plan things out. It will also give me time to gather the other equipment I need.

SBDTHRU,
I hope they will put the entire solana box into another larger box with padding. This will be the third one they will have to ship.

Mustang Boy
01/05/2010, 10:34 PM
wow that really sucks man. hopefully they will do a better job packaging it this time.

snowriderz
01/06/2010, 02:53 PM
thats crazy, how can they get away with packing (or not packing) a tank that way. if i was UPS i would sue them for potentially cutting my drivers. thats probably the worse packing job (or not packing) i have ever seen. imagine if someones not home and UPS drops it off at theirr house and there are kids running around a box of glass shards like that?

thank god you are patient, if not i think i will just get another tank. open top glass tanks are pretty available now in lots of brands. Elos and have you seen the new CADlights
50G Starfire Artisan series tank? talk about sexiness!

reggiepe
01/11/2010, 02:03 PM
I too, had the same experiece with this tank. 3 times shipped, 3 times broken. They were very apologetic and promptly issued call tags for the return, so I was happy with that. The packaging is the mfg packaging that they ship in...designed to protect it on a pallet, not to be shipped by itself. Each time I spoke to them I told them that it was the bad packaging and that it should be shipped in another box with protection. Never listened. So sad, I will go another route for a cube. I ordered it when shipping was $5.99 and the online price was $219. They lost alot of money over that order. I hope 3 is a charm for you Sawdust.

SawdustInTank
01/11/2010, 05:29 PM
I too, had the same experiece with this tank. 3 times shipped, 3 times broken. They were very apologetic and promptly issued call tags for the return, so I was happy with that. The packaging is the mfg packaging that they ship in...designed to protect it on a pallet, not to be shipped by itself. Each time I spoke to them I told them that it was the bad packaging and that it should be shipped in another box with protection. Never listened. So sad, I will go another route for a cube. I ordered it when shipping was $5.99 and the online price was $219. They lost alot of money over that order. I hope 3 is a charm for you Sawdust.
Reggiepe,
Yeah the packaging is definetly for LTL shipments from a manuf. My Ecocube shipped this past Wednesday and is scheudled to arrive here at work this Thursday. I will let you guys know what happens. This will be my third one. I told them to put the entire tank in its orginal box in another well packaged box. When I looked at the UPS shipping information the first two shipements had a weight of 50 lbs. now it weighs 50.6 lbs. I hope they have packaged it well. I would like to get this tank going shortly. My goal is to have it cycled and have all the bugs worked out by the time MACNA rolls around in September here is Florida. I too bought my tank at that price. It seems it was only at that price for one weekend. Thanks.

SawdustInTank
01/14/2010, 06:32 PM
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv241/dlindesey/DSC02732.jpg
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv241/dlindesey/DSC02733.jpg

Can we say...........NO MORE BUSTED TANKS..........
They did an excellent job this time. The shipping box was noticeably much larger this time around. I opened it up and sure enough DR. Foster Smith came thru. It had a good amount of Styrofoam around the Solana box. I pulled it out and cut the Solana box open and sure enough. No broken glass. Man it took almost a month to get this thing in one piece. LOL. Well I guess I'm official now. Thanks.