PDA

View Full Version : 70gal cube lighting

stylolvr
10/23/2009, 06:06 AM
So the wife has given the go-ahead on a Marieland 70gal cube (30x30x18), so I am getting into the planning stages in the hopes of having it up and running by summer (finances will dictate....). I will be slowly accumulating the necessary equipment until I can get it up and running.

I have been looking at different lighting options, and can't seem to decide on the perfect one. I would like to be able to keep mainly zoas (for the wife) and SPS, with an occasional LPS. I haven't decided 100% on MH or T5, but I am leaning toward a mixture of the 2 if possible. I would like to have a fixture hanging over the tank, but am not opposed to having it resting on the tank. I will be building a stand, but would rather not have a canopy, so asthetics are important.

The biggest challenge that I have come across is that there isn't much in the way of 30" fixtures. I think hanging a 24" fixture wuld be OK, but the 36" isn't an option. Would a 24" fixture, with just 1 MH bulb give sufficient coverage? Maybe a 6 or 8 bulb, 30" T5 fixture (if there is such a thing)? As an absolute last resort, I could build a canopy and put a retro kit in it, but this is, again, a last resort.

What to do??

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

kawicivic
10/23/2009, 06:08 AM
its not likely that you will have a ton of stuff right up next to the glass so i would think a 24" fixture would be fine. I would recommend one of the pendants like lumenbright lumenarc, etc

stylolvr
10/23/2009, 03:37 PM
Do you think a 150W would be OK, or should I opt for the 250W?