PDA

View Full Version : Tank upgrade/new tank issues

Pchromis
10/23/2009, 09:30 AM
Hello all..Been a while since I posted here about a reef tank upgrade. Thanks to all those with their help and suggestions.
It has been 4 weeks since I upgraded from a 37 to a 95. I did lose one fish, a couple of serpent stars and snails. But all in all, the move-up went well.

One issue I am having which may be normal, is the brown algae bloom on sand, rock, background. Mexican turbos and other snails are working on that.
What I don't think is normal is that every day I see the brown algae film on the glass and have to mag-float remove it. Comes right off but I have to remove it daily.

Flow is good covering almost all of tank. I'm running a sump/fuge with Chaeto. Skimmer pulling out the nastiest junk imagineable.

Nitrates are about 5ppm,
PH 8.4
0 ammonia
0 nitrites.

use RO/DI filtered water.
S.G. 1.025.

I have 8x39 T5 lighting. run 4 ATI blue plus from 9-8, run the remaining 2 Acintic whites. 1 Aquablue and 1 6500k daylight light from 11-7.

Any opinions or thoughts on this?

Znut Reefer
10/23/2009, 10:09 AM
The brown film is normal with a new set-up. Just keep it wiped down. It's the same stuff thats on your sand bed.

thegrun
10/23/2009, 10:42 AM
Your tank is going through the normal cycle, I would expect there will be algae and diatom blooms for the first three months or so as the tank matures and stabilizes. In essence, it is a lot like a new tank and it just takes time for everything to get back into balance.

Pchromis
10/23/2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks, I wasn't too sure. I have just never saw the constnat film on the glass....

AndrewG
10/23/2009, 01:35 PM
Of you haven't done so, you might try reducing your light cycle for a week or two until things get back into balance. You should be fine in a month or so.

Pchromis
10/23/2009, 04:53 PM
Of you haven't done so, you might try reducing your light cycle for a week or two until things get back into balance. You should be fine in a month or so.

What do u suggest...

AndrewG
10/23/2009, 06:32 PM
You don't say what corals you have but dialing back to 6 hours a day should be enough to keep the corals gruntled and reduce the light for the algaes that will come.

Pchromis
10/23/2009, 10:22 PM
You don't say what corals you have but dialing back to 6 hours a day should be enough to keep the corals gruntled and reduce the light for the algaes that will come.

Right now there is a torch coral, colt coral and yellow polyps plus a couple of anemones.

AndrewG
10/24/2009, 05:36 AM
They should be fine. The Euphyllia would be the one to keep your eyes on. Once the system has stabilized slowly increase your light cycle time to whatever is normal for you. The diatoms will go away, probably replaced by the old hair algae plague.
Good Luck.

Pchromis
10/24/2009, 06:50 AM
They should be fine. The Euphyllia would be the one to keep your eyes on. Once the system has stabilized slowly increase your light cycle time to whatever is normal for you. The diatoms will go away, probably replaced by the old hair algae plague.
Good Luck.

Thanks for the help.

Inked414
10/24/2009, 05:55 PM
Other than the diatoms how you liking the new tank?