PDA

View Full Version : Update Coralife MH Hood with T5's

Madjack
10/23/2009, 11:29 AM
I have a Oak Coralife hood with 3 - 400w MH (Hamiltons 14K) and 2 - 72" VHO 03 bulbs mounted about 12" from the water surface. I recently tried to replace my VHO's, but was told they're no longer available and should consider replacing with T5's. I have approximately 3 1/2" to the left and right of the MH bulbs to place the T5's.

Some Questions:

1. Do I need anything at all? Standard 180 gallon (72x24x24) reef tank with
Bubble tips anemone's, loads of soft tree coral and various fish

2. If I mount the T5's to the underside of the hood, they would be above the MH (HEAT) and approximately 15" above the surface of the tank. Is this too high for any effectiveness?

3. I could mount the T5's to the side of the hood. They would below the MH and closer to the water surface. However they would be 5" below the reflector.

nanojg
10/23/2009, 12:05 PM
you dont need any supplemental lighting, but I would stick with vho's over t5's just for supplemental lighting, especially because you already have them. VHO's are still around.

luther1200
10/23/2009, 07:50 PM
I would aslo keep the VHO's. People are still getting them, I think maybe the guy had some mis information.

killagoby
10/23/2009, 08:04 PM
If you do the T5's I would go with all T5's. Scrap the MH's. Try to do 8 bulbs if you can. If you don't overdrive them they won't put out much heat. You won't get the shimmer of MH, but with the color combo(s) of T5 bulbs you can really get creative with the tank. Just my 2 cents.