PDA

View Full Version : GHA on newly purchased LR

ChristianJock07
10/25/2009, 12:35 AM
Greetings all.

After a year hiatus from reefing and moving to Wisconsin from Florida, I have decided to set up a small tank until my wife and I purchase a new house.

With previous tanks I never had an issue with GHA, but I do know the basics of how to battle it if it sets in. GFO's , Scrubbing, Blowing off / siphoning, CUC, etc etc etc.

But what I am unsure of is how to prevent it on a brand new system that has yet to cycle with LR that does have GHA.

Explanation:

I am currently modifying a 30g Finnex M-Tank to use as a display tank for a few months until we get a new house to set up my large tank.

While I am working on the Finnex, I have set up a 29g tank (I guess you could say quarantine tank) to house LR in since I got a great deal today from a local reefer that is getting out of the hobby.

I picked up 20lb of gorgeous looking Toga and Figi LR earlier today, but they do have a bit of GHA on it. The guy I picked it up from scrubbed it as best as he good while taking it out of his tank, but there is still a bit left.

With new water (RO/DI w/ TDS = 0) and nothing else in the tank other than 2 K3's and Heater, should I just take the rock out, scrub it down and clean it up the best I can, dose the water with something, or just let it run it's course? Since the water has yet to cycle, I'm sure once the phosphates get higher, this will cause the GHA to really get out of control.

Also, I do have a MH 175 light over this which I will not be running while this GHA is present. However, there is so much corraline growth on this rock that I would hate to lose it.

I'm trying to avoid a CUC right now since nothing has cycled in this quarantine tank and it would take nothing to just take the rock out and scrub it down.

Finally, any reason to run a skimmer on this since it's basically just cycling and housing the LR?

Thoughts or suggestion greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Chris

dwd5813
10/25/2009, 12:53 AM
i'd probably do what i'm doing now with my rocks and 'cook' them. do a search for rock cooking if you don't already know what i mean. that will take care of the algae. the coraline will come back as far as i know.

ChristianJock07
10/25/2009, 10:51 AM
Yeh, I know what cooking is. Just seeing if any other options first.