PDA

View Full Version : The 'How to Spend $500+ on a AIO Perc Breeding Tank' Build Thread......

DeathWish302
10/25/2009, 06:19 PM
I always been a fan of clowns, but not particularly perculas and occelaris. Well after seeing a few Black Onyx Percs in person the bug bit.... and HARD!:bigeyes: This thread will cover the life and times of the build and the soon-to-be residents... Enough talking, moving on to the system.

I've been searching far and wide for an AIO, as they looked decent. I had almost sold myself on just buying a new JBJ 12DX from Marine Depot with their incredible deal. The only concern was my inability to not modify everything. I hate ripping out items I never used on a new purchase. This problem was solved when a local reefer posted on FragSwapper an Aquapod 12g for $50 for the next swap meet. I couldn't wait two weeks to get it, so I drove over and picked it up with a couple freebie frags...SWEET!

I don't have any initial pics of the tank, but after soaking a whole day with a gallon of vinegar and periodic scrubbings it was clean. Here is what I had to start with.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/bajafrank/IMGP9393_Web.jpg

The first job was to tear out the lighting and post it on RC FS forum (Thanks charkeskellar). After the stock lighting was removed I started snipping the plastic inner grates to increase airflow.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/bajafrank/IMGP9407_Web.jpg

Then there are those annoying slots below the overflow that serve mo purpose but to create another DIY.....
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/bajafrank/IMGP9421_Web.jpg

I know how to fix that...... :blown:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/bajafrank/IMGP9411_Web.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/bajafrank/IMGP9432_Web.jpg

I had the stock pump, but after tearing it apart found it had a rusty shaft. I didn't get a spare carbon reactor pump, but a free power cord. I then ordered some plumbing items and a MJ900 from Premium Aqautics. I thought if I'm putting a new pump in I might as well DIY a Loc-Line Eductor too. After first glance of the pump setup through the back wall I knew it had to change. This is where the Loc-Line threaded connector, 1/2" bulkhead, 1/2" pvc elbow & nylon nipple came into play. The only reused item in the stock circulation system is the vinyl tube.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/bajafrank/IMGP9440_Web.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/bajafrank/IMGP9446_Web.jpg

Here is what it looks like from the front. It has a few spots where I think frag racks were glued but they disappear when the tank is filled.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/bajafrank/IMGP9448_Web.jpg

At this point your probably wondering how this tank could ever cost $500 or more. This is where the second installment will pickup as soon as all parts arrive or are ordered this week. This 12g will be lit with the following:
6xRoyal Blue CREE XRE Leds
6xQ5 White CREE XRE Leds
2xBuckpucks

Cooling will be covered by the following:
2x(80mmx25mm) Rexus case fans - Pulling air inboard on the heatsink
2x(60mmx25mm) Rexus case fans - Pushing air out of hood
?x? AL heatsink

Until next time.......

firstsalt
10/25/2009, 09:22 PM
subscribe!

iFisch
10/26/2009, 02:13 AM
How the heck are you going to spend $500+? I don't even think you broke the $100 mark yet... lol

I would have gone with an Ehiem Compact pump, about 2x as expensive as a MJ1200, but they are such nice pumps.

Darkstar22
10/26/2009, 08:38 AM
why get an "all in one" and turn it into a complete build? Never could get that through my head! Anyway, good luck!

iFisch
10/26/2009, 08:47 AM
why get an "all in one" and turn it into a complete build? Never could get that through my head! Anyway, good luck!

Because it was $50...

DeathWish302
10/26/2009, 09:05 AM
How the heck are you going to spend $500+? I don't even think you broke the $100 mark yet... lol

I would have gone with an Ehiem Compact pump, about 2x as expensive as a MJ1200, but they are such nice pumps.

Oops...! :eek1: Forgot the fine print:

*The actual cost of $500+ includes tank, circulation equipment, LED lighting, drivers, power supplies, fans, PA Wild Caught Black Onyx offspring, Booyah's Reef Black Onyx or Doni's Picasso/Snowcasso offspring PLUS INCURRED OVERNIGHT SHIPPING COSTS. Do not attempt this project if you faint at the sight of blood, will not use duct tape & super glue as bandages, regularly huff paint (you'll never make it past gluing the acrylic on the slots), have burnt down your home, flooded your home, have not told the spouse of your frankenstein intentions and finally if your not proficient with a Dremel and drill. For entertainment purposes only, do not try this at home! All Rights Reserved DEW Reef 2009.

With all components purchased+S/H at his point (minus 1/2" pvc pipe, 1/8" black acrylic sheet & Weld-On 16 which I have a stock of) I'm at $85.

I looked long and hard at the Eheim compact but was concerned about heat issues with the 6.5W of the MJ versus the ~13W of the Eheim. I have 3 of the original 4 MJ (900 &1200) that I purchased 8 years ago. I've done the Maxi-Mod, rebuilt the magnet carriers, replaced some of the shafts with SS/carbon fiber, etc. I've overhauled them all to at least some extent and they keep turning. I like that dependability and was uncertain since I have no track record with the Eheim. It didn't hurt I received 30% at TFP and didn't have to pay S/H from PA or wait a few days. I may try one in the future if the MJ becomes too noisy, as they always seem too when placed under a load from pressure. :D

The 'tank' won't actually cost $500, but very close with the LED upgrade. Filled with livestock it will surpass the mark as this is a species/purpose driven build with no intent on a Nano reef of any type except possibly a FL Ric and some Caulerpa prolifera/taxifolia/mexicana for visual appeal and filtration.

iFisch
10/26/2009, 09:10 AM
The 'tank' won't actually cost $500, but very close with the LED upgrade. Filled with livestock it will surpass the mark as this is a species/purpose driven build with no intent on a Nano reef of any type except possibly a FL Ric and some Caulerpa prolifera/taxifolia/mexicana for visual appeal and filtration.

So your LED upgrade is going to cost around $400? For a FOWLR don't you need like 1/4 of what "reefs" need, LED wise?

Fish are $80, tank currently is $85. So that's $165.

I'm going to assume you need 10lbs of LR/sand.. and what else?

What's your "simple" checklist looking like?

DeathWish302
10/26/2009, 09:13 AM

$$$$ is EXACTLY the reason. A clean concealed setup with no hanging/rim mounted light with a ton of light spill was the next requirement.

Why buy a $700-800 Solana tank and stand and chop into it for a frankenstein DIY? If you saw my display setup you would understand. I don't buy alot of hobby grade equipment and DIY alot. It's the engineer in me that makes building equipment as rewarding as the tank....and it doesn't hurt that I can buy more exotics with the money saved.

DeathWish302
10/26/2009, 09:24 AM
So your LED upgrade is going to cost around $400? For a FOWLR don't you need like 1/4 of what "reefs" need, LED wise?

Fish are $80, tank currently is $85. So that's $165.

I'm going to assume you need 10lbs of LR/sand.. and what else?

What's your "simple" checklist looking like?

Livestock
PA Black Onyx - $25 ($50 S/H)
Booyah/Doni Mate - $50-200 ($50 S/H)
5 lbs Rock/Rubble - $5/lb = $25
Already have LS & a new Concrete Cave that is near kuring completion
Caulerpa - ??? ($5-10, possibly free)

Cooling System
1 powersupply - $20
2x(80x25) Rexus - $8(each)
2x(60x25) Rexus - $8(each)

LED Build
Heatsink - $30
Artic Silver - $7
CREE RB - $38
CREE White - $38
2xLED Power Supply -$35(each)
Fasteners & Nylon Spacers ($5)
2xBuckpucks - $17(each)
2xTimers - $20

Misc. wire, power cords, solder, etc. I have and not counting these items....

That should be about it.
Approximately comes to $507 (w/o Shipping).

iFisch
10/26/2009, 10:10 AM
Could have saved yourself $200 by leaving in the PC bulbs. ;) And bought even more exotic clowns. :D

I'd love to do LED on a reef. Are you getting any sort of light controller for the LED's?

DeathWish302
10/26/2009, 11:55 AM
Could have saved yourself $200 by leaving in the PC bulbs. ;) And bought even more exotic clowns. :D

I'd love to do LED on a reef. Are you getting any sort of light controller for the LED's?

I know the LED setup is a bit overkill, but it's a way to experiment with the equipment and methodology. I've considered a full LED hood for my 58gal, but with the price I would like to have any R&D and prototyping costs minimized. What better way than a nano. No controller in the plans. I'll use timers for now.

iFisch
10/26/2009, 12:01 PM
I know the LED setup is a bit overkill, but it's a way to experiment with the equipment and methodology. I've considered a full LED hood for my 58gal, but with the price I would like to have any R&D and prototyping costs minimized. What better way than a nano. No controller in the plans. I'll use timers for now.

Cool.

Good luck, and keep us posted. :bounce1:

theyammieguy
10/26/2009, 03:39 PM
Looking good.

DeathWish302
10/26/2009, 08:43 PM
Fans are in!:beer:

Newegg shipped those in less than 3 days. No fan PS though, hopefully tomorrow so I can have these wired up. The fans on the right are Masscool that were $2 EACH, so I thought they woul make god temporary backups. Everyone said they were a little loud, but moved amazing amounts of air. If the Rexus that was suggested over SilenX by my bro-in-law has similar noise, I'll just go the Masscool route after these burn out. I'm starting to realize that replacing fans every 8-12 months could be more expensive than the LEDs' they are saving life on if your paying $32 for 4 Rexus fans or $45 for SilenX. Also have the Artic Silver 5.

Since the 60mm fan is bigger than the stock unit, would you......

1)Cut all four sides off the surround and leave the posts. Then drill out the fans and screw them down with longer screws?

2)Cut all the stock surround off and make new posts that fit the fan hole locations and attach to hood with Weld-On 16?

I'm really swaying towards fabbing new posts, but don't have acrylic rod smaller than 1/2". I'll sleep on that.......:sleep:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b152/bajafrank/IMGP9451_Web.jpg

I will be ordering the heatsink tomorrow and likely the LEDs', as I'm undecided if the Meanwell may be a better driver versus having to buy a PS & Buckpuck. The cost is equal, but less space the equipment consumes the better.

ILLiDaN
02/10/2010, 12:17 AM
thread die?

DeathWish302
02/10/2010, 11:31 AM
thread die?

Nope, not dead. Just been busy with biz travel and the holidays. The hood build is complete and I need to post pics. I'm in the process of making the new stand, as the filing cabinet needs to go. I'm also throwing around ideas for a central control interface for the timers, PS, buckpucks & pots that would hang on the wall. Currently I just have a couple juvie tomatos that will go back in the juvie 'pond' as soon as I get the stand completed. Time flies on these builds if your not careful. Pics to be posted this weekend if I can get to Philly airport this Friday from CA.....:thumbdown