PDA

View Full Version : Are F1's worth more $$$

flameangel9
10/25/2009, 07:38 PM
A buddy of mine just bought F1 Black Oscillaris Clowns for $150. I just bought a pair for $20 a piece. Personally I think they look the same. I know what F1 means but is there really a difference?

arrowheadpuffer
10/25/2009, 07:43 PM
What does F1 mean?

jflick345
10/25/2009, 08:04 PM
If I had to guess I would say it has to do with heredity and genetics. F1 probably stand for the first Filial generation. This means it is the offspring of 2 true breeding parents. As opposed to them breeding the offspring with each other, that would be an F2 generation. Technically, F1 would mean one parent is true breeding for orange and one is true breeding black. My assumption would be that orange is the dominant trait so that would mean the babies would be orange. Evidently though the black trait comes somewhere else. Bottomline, if it's an F1 clown the babies would be a mix of black and orange most likely, with about 75% being black. It's probably more expensive bc of that high ratio of black offspring they would have.

lordofthereef
10/25/2009, 08:15 PM
Unless you are planning on breeding them it is not worth it IMO. That said, value is in the eye of the beholder. The fish you have is the same fish your friend got (by the sound of it) except that his has a higher chance to pass on to tis offspring the "black genes" necessary for them to be black too.

flameangel9
10/25/2009, 08:19 PM
It means they are first generation from wild caught clowns. No inbreeding.
IMO they are = to wild caught. However wild caught are more expensive, then F1's, the 2nd gen and so on. But I would challenge people to look and tell me which ones are WC and which are
tank raised. Visually I don't see the difference.

lordofthereef
10/25/2009, 08:42 PM
Visually I don't see the difference.

There shouldn't be one. The difference is genetic, and not large enough to cause phenotypic difference in the vast majority of specimens.