PDA

View Full Version : preventing microbubbles from sump

alaska clowns
10/26/2009, 02:20 AM
I was wondering.... are there other ways to prevent microbubbles other than using baffles? I think I'd like to try designing a sump from a plastic storage container (I'll get more gallons for fewer dollars), but they aren't usually square, so I wasn't sure that baffles would be possible. Any ideas would be helpful. Thank you!

lordofthereef
10/26/2009, 04:28 AM
You can also do something like put containers within one-another such as buckets or smaller plastic crates. That will do the trick just as well. If all else fails you can put a filter sock on the drainpipe of your overflow and that will eliminate bubbles in the sump all together.

imcosmokramer
10/26/2009, 08:39 AM
well, other than ones from the skimmer.

spleify
10/26/2009, 08:44 AM
Yep, filter socks! I use them on my drain pipe and on the output of my skimmer.

Good luck, have fun

DThompson
10/26/2009, 08:46 AM
I use filter socks, just clean them often. Also, I have the drain going into a bucket that is full of small rubble live rock.

gerryo
10/26/2009, 09:00 AM
More gallons for fewer bucks only works if you don't have to do so many mods.
Baffles are a simple thing in a glass tank. (Even I did my own and it turned out fab.)
Glass will only break if you are careless. Plastic twists, distorts, and will eventually make your floors very wet.

alaska clowns
10/26/2009, 11:51 AM
Thank you! Filter socks it is. I have some acrylic for baffles in my 10 gallon, but I want to look into trying to do something bigger under the new 55. But that depends on finding a sturdy and food safe plastic bin of some sort.

Thanks again!