PDA

View Full Version : Carpet anemone ate my Mandarin!

Tyrenlds
10/26/2009, 02:33 PM
walked by the tank and our Carpet Anemone looked unusually happy in the morning before work 3 days ago... just realized last night that I've not seen our spotted mandarin in about 3 days. Crap.

Bought the carpet 3 weeks ago on an impulse... not knowing that mandarins are at a heightened risk for anemone predation. Sucks, we've had that dragonet for 10 months, purchased totally emaciated from the LFS and then nursed in our tank. Fat and happy as could be for the last 10 months... always scuttling around the tank in full view, never skiddish, and then Gone!

Other fish have been lost in our tank, but I feel especially bad for this one... maybe because we 'saved' this guy from starvation? No real reason for this post, guess i'm just venting. If you have a Mandarin I would stay away from Carpets. Wish i would have known.

velvetelvis
10/26/2009, 07:14 PM
It always sucks to find out the hard way that you should have done the research first...we've all got burnt by an impulse buy at one time or another. :( Sorry to hear about your loss, and thanks for warning others.

rkelman
10/26/2009, 07:29 PM
Ya it sucks. My Carpet has eaten a couple Mandarins unfortunately.

Toddrtrex
10/26/2009, 09:55 PM
I have only lost 2 fish to my Haddonis over the last 10+ years, and the other one was a yellow watchman goby.

Guygettnby
10/27/2009, 12:59 PM
wow, that really sucks! i am sorry to hear your lose. the worst i have lost to an anemone would be a cleaner shrimp.

Sugar Magnolia
10/27/2009, 02:41 PM
Wow, sorry for your loss. Learning the hard way is painful!

fufu
10/27/2009, 02:57 PM
I love my Haddoni, even if it eat my fish.