PDA

View Full Version : flame angel school question

jayb12
10/26/2009, 07:49 PM
i have a question, in a large set up of 250 gallon and lots of rockwork how tighly would a group of 5 flame angels stick together? im very tempted to pick some up and it just so happens my LFS has them on sale for 50 bucks each but im looking to make a nice schooling group

beezer06840
10/27/2009, 01:51 AM
I have kept flame angels in groups of up to 5 before and I wouldn't categorize them as schooling fish at all in that they aren't open water swimmers. I would characterize them more as constantly darting in and out of the rockwork. As an aside, having a lot of rockwork greatly aids in minimizing aggression among them.

tcmfish
10/27/2009, 07:26 AM
What he said. Not a schooling fish at all, not even close. The most dominant one will be male and will patrol the others. I think it would be fine though and say you do it. You will get to see them spawn nightly! Plus the interactions will be interesting to watch.

jayb12
10/28/2009, 05:13 PM
well i guess im the fool, my LFS guy swore to me they would school in multiple numbers. i didnt believe it myself and i guess i was right

tcmfish
10/28/2009, 07:39 PM
Like I said I still think you should keep a harem, and you will get to watch them spawn. Many people prefer different species, but I like to watch the interactions of pairs and harems.

david pinder
10/28/2009, 09:06 PM
all I have is a pair and have seen them spawing at night? has any one ever heard of them actually producing.

velvetelvis
10/28/2009, 09:27 PM
well i guess im the fool, my LFS guy swore to me they would school in multiple numbers. i didnt believe it myself and i guess i was right

I've run into this a lot at LFS. I've met some people who really know their stuff and some who don't know their @ss from their elbow (but won't admit it). What always helps me is to read as many books and magazines as possible and listen to more experienced, knowledgeable people (and usually they'll be the ones urging you not to do something) on forums like this one. You'll still run into some conflicting information at times, but at least you won't be going on the word of someone who's kept a clownfish and some polyps alive in a nano for 6 months and thinks that qualifies him/her as an expert. :rolleye1:

tcmfish
10/28/2009, 10:00 PM
all I have is a pair and have seen them spawing at night? has any one ever heard of them actually producing.

Most marine fish don't participate in parental care, especially pelagic spawners like angels, that broadcast their eggs in the current to develop on their own.