PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor dKH is only 12...

FishTruck
10/26/2009, 09:10 PM
So, my ALK is nice and steady... I have been running a higher effluent rate from my reactor, which seems to give me more consistent flow.

on my 500 gallon system... I am running an effluent of about 200 ml per min, the CO2 bubbles at a rate that keeps the pH in the reactor at about 6.9. This holds my Alk at 9.8dKH, my Ca holds at 400. If I want to run higher Ca, I have to dose a little CaCl weekly.

I also run a Kalk Reactor on the ATO.

Being perfectly happy... I decided to start looking for problems. I checked dKH from my reactor, and it is only about 12! I guess it would optimall run about 20 to 40?

Is there anything wrong with this? What would I gain by running a slower effluent, lowering the pH and having a higher dKH effluent, of say 20?

FishTruck
10/26/2009, 09:12 PM
To accomplish this, I would keep the CO2 running at the same rate, and just slowly dial down the eflluent... making sure that the Alk does not start going up in my tank..

right?

29reef
10/26/2009, 09:16 PM
Well are you using a standard style recirc ca reactor? IMO as long as the Ph in the reactor is low enough to dissolve the media your doing just fine.

FishTruck
10/26/2009, 09:25 PM
Yes. A GEO 618. I am dissolving media.

The only problem I can imagine is that perhaps I am using CO2 faster than I need to?

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/27/2009, 06:20 AM
If your current setup maintains alkalinity, then there is no big reason to change anything. In your case the reactor is not doing much, but it may not need to either since you have another source of alkalinity (the limewater). :)

Yes, you may be able to reduce the water and CO2 flow rates through the reactor if you want to. That might also help raise tank pH if it is low.

FishTruck
10/27/2009, 06:24 AM
Thanks! I guess it aint broke... so I wont fix it.

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/27/2009, 06:26 AM
:thumbsup:

Happy reefing. :)