PDA

View Full Version : Flow restrictor to DI...doesn't seem right.

rjinct
10/26/2009, 10:54 PM
I picked up used RO/DI unit a couple months ago. While adding a dual TDS meter and flush kit to the unit this evening, I noticed there was a flow restrictor (the white ones that sit inside the tubing) coming from the RO line to the DI cannister. Was this a mistake by the previous owner or is this something needed? I can't imagine why there would be a flow restrictor coming out of the "good" water line....just does't seem correct. Then again, I'm new to all of this. Any insight appreciated. Thanks!

fsn77
10/27/2009, 02:52 PM
The only flow restrictor on my RO/DI unit is on the waste line coming out of the RO membrane housing.

Does the unit produce good water at near the expected rate with about the right ratio of waste to product water?

I'm not sure why there would be a flow restrictor on the good water coming from the RO membrane... That doesn't sound correct to me either.

luther1200
10/27/2009, 05:32 PM
The flow restrictor should be in the waste water line.

rjinct
10/27/2009, 08:09 PM
Does the unit produce good water at near the expected rate with about the right ratio of waste to product water?

Hmmm...never bothered to check the ratio. After I acquired the unit, I put the waste water line directly into the drain. It takes about 2 hours to create 5 gallons. I'll do a test to see what the ratio is. Should be about 4:1, is that about right?

The flow restrictor should be in the waste water line.

There is a flow restrictor on the waste water line, but I also noticed one from the RO membrane to the DI cannister. Just wondering if that is necessary or if I should just pull it out (i.e., is it limiting the performance of my RO/DI unit).