PDA

View Full Version : new growth takin over?

sfilipowski
10/27/2009, 07:42 AM
next month will be 1 year up and runnin and still learning something new all the time. Now I have some growth tryin to take over ( will try to post a pic tonight) It kinda looks like the end of a small feather duster orange in color, and very thick turf like and spreading like mad any thoughts? thanks

Sugar Magnolia
10/27/2009, 08:04 AM
Without a pic it would basically just be a guess. Here's my guess...nuisance alge. :D Check here - http://www.saltcorner.com/sections/guest/algaepage/algaepage.htm

sfilipowski
10/27/2009, 08:29 AM
thanks for the link.. I just looked at every single pic and it's not there maybe something good? it looks cool but today I spotted a little bit more next to some zoas about 3" away from the main growth I can tell I am gonna have to get the tweezers to get this under control thanks again

mcintosh
10/27/2009, 09:20 AM
Could it be a hydroid? Similar in appearance to a tube anemone but small.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/78/162504299_08d7157f83.jpg
Not a great pic, but do some research on them. Might be what you see and they do have a nasty sting.

sfilipowski
10/27/2009, 10:09 AM
thanks but its not hydroids either I still can't find anything similiar. it is on the top rock now about a 3inch patch very thick golden/orange in color swaying in the current very tiny stem with the top similiar to duster at the ends I know I should have not even started this without a pic, I was hoping someone had some of the same stuff with a pic or link. thanks for guessing

Rjukan
10/27/2009, 10:17 AM
That last description sounds very similar to colonial hydroids. If you check through my photos of mediocrity thread here in newbies I have a pic of the ones I have. They are extremely similar to your description.

sfilipowski
10/27/2009, 10:38 AM
thats it!!!! colonial hydroids the last pic on the first page, the only difference is mine is a thick colony kinda by themselves but as i stated earlier i have now noticed a few more a few inches away. what now? so they don't take over? this is not good correct?

Rjukan
10/27/2009, 10:47 AM
They are pretty invasive, I have been watching what I have an they seem to ebb and flow in numbers. Also it seems they like higher flow areas in my tank. I haven't been vigilant with them, but it seems like they won't grow back if you scrub them down and keep scrubbing when they pop back up without the top to them. Keep an eye on the root network of them and try to stub it into submission lol.

sfilipowski
10/27/2009, 10:53 AM
thanx pete, I will try that later today, does anything eat this stuff?

Rjukan
10/27/2009, 11:13 AM
Lol not that I know of :)