PDA

View Full Version : Finally....I've Decided to Start Up My Fuge, BUT I Need Your Help!

FlyinggFish
10/27/2009, 02:47 PM
I built my sump set up to support a refugium (compartments and lighting), but I had never actually put the chaeto in because I was afraid of the electric bill. After a year of not having a refugium I figured it can't hurt to add some chaeto, and I know longer have my third tank running, so that kind of lowered the electric bill, which I'm guessing I will replace with the chaeto lighting.

But I do face a problem:
My tank is in my room...where I sleep. I was reading that the preferred lighting schedule for chaeto in a fuge would be the opposite of when your DT lighting in on. I saw that this lighting schedule is important to hinder the fluctuation of pH.

Is this lighting schedule really necessary?
My sump is in a cabinet but I think that the light might shine out a bit and I already deal with the water noise from the tank...I don't want the shine of the lighting in my face or visible when I am snoozing.

If it is possible for me to carry out this lighting schedule, how long does the light have to be on? I would be running the chaeto under a 3500K, 120 V light.

Thank you
Natalie

luther1200
10/27/2009, 05:43 PM
If you have already been running the tank without it like that, then now it won't hurt the tank. But with a reverse schedule you will see the full benefit of running a fuge. But you don't have to. Why don't you try it 1 night and see how it goes? What time do your DT lights turn on/off?

FlyinggFish
10/27/2009, 05:52 PM
My lights turn off at about 7 or 8. I will check it tonight and see how much the light comes through. Maybe there is a way I can block the light. :) Thanks

khaosinc
10/27/2009, 07:41 PM
as little light as cheato needs to grow, I would be surprised if you even notice it on the electric bill.