PDA

View Full Version : Increase feeding to eliminate cyano

Logzor
10/27/2009, 06:39 PM
Based on the logic from this thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=665129

I read several threads that described KNO3 dosing to raise nitrates to rid their system of cyano. Can I simply increase feedings instead, or will this also raise PO4 at the same time and completely defy what I am trying to do?

The cyano came around when I began vodka dosing. I also skim heavily and feed sparingly. My chaeto is beginning to die off, too.

Should I increase feedings, continue vodka dosing, or try something else?

addicted2reefin
10/27/2009, 08:41 PM
well i read in another thread that cyano can consume vodka as a food source. Also I know from planted tank experience, that bad algea will outcompete desirable organism growth if there is a deficiency in nutrients for the desirable organism. Since desirable organisms are more complex, they need a more complex need for nutrients. Nusience algea is very simple and can thrive off of bassically anything that isnt being uptaken.

Flipper62
10/27/2009, 09:30 PM
Here are 2 great "Must Read" articles on Cyano

http://netclub.athiel.com/cyano/cyanos2.htm

http://www.reefcentral.com/wp/?p=288

Logzor
10/28/2009, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the links, I will check them out.

HighlandReefer
10/28/2009, 07:50 AM
There have been a lot of studies regarding cyano blooms in the ocean. The most significant factors which trigger increased cyano growth are high DOM in the water column, increased water temperature & higher levels of CO2 in the water column which leads to lower pH.

Studies regarding the levels of Nitrate and phosphate showed little effect on many species of cyano growth even at very low levels as long as the DOM was available.

I would not add more food to your tank, since this will lead to higher DOM in your water column.

IMO, the red cyano, commonly a problem for hobbyists, are most likely nitrogen fixing species and are capable of deriving their needed N without the presence of nitrate. The theory of adding nitrate to help control cyano would IMO, be simply to add more available food for many bacteria which are not nitrogen-fixing. If your nitrate levels are very low, this would allow these bacteria + many coral to compete with the cyano. Too high a levels of nitrate can lead to other pest problems such as algae. I would see a fine line as to what nitrate levels you would be trying to achieve. I would assume that the nitrate level needed would be well below what the test kits available in our hobby can detect accurately.

No matter what you decide to do, decreasing the DOM in your water column and the organic debris in your tank will be the most important factor in gaining control of cyano. ;)

Good luck in your war with cyano.

Logzor
10/28/2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks Cliff,

You had answered several of my questions regarding cyano and vodka on another thread. You suggested that the vodka could cause high CO2 levels and result in cyano growth, my questions is, could vodka itself be considering DOC and be the sole cause of cyano growth?

I ask this because I have always had zero nitrates and did not have cyano before dosing vodka.

How if vodka dosing and overfeeding different? I am trying to understand why adding more food would not help based on the nitrate limiting theory.

It seems to me that the vodka = cyano + zero growth from other algae should = some simple explanation. I am having trouble piecing things together in a logical manner.

HighlandReefer
10/28/2009, 04:30 PM
IMHO, I don't see why Vodka dosing would increase CO2 levels. Vodka dosing results in increased populations of bacteria which may in some situations use the CO2 and thus decrease it some. IMHO, the Vodka would have little effect on the CO2 level.

Vodka does supply additional carbon into the water column which bacteria and cyano can utilize. Vodak does not add much, if any, nitrate or phosphate that I am aware of. It may have some organic forms, but after distillation I would assume they would be low. Many bacteria may be able to out compete the cyano here if enough nitrate is present.

Adding Food will add more complex organic compounds which contain phosphate and other needed nutrients which cyano can utilize directly. Perhaps the cyano can out compete the bacteria here.

I would love to hear what Randy has to say about this. Perhaps I am way off basis. :)