PDA

View Full Version : no skim-mate

cal_stir
10/27/2009, 07:16 PM
I have a 90 gal reef tank, 100 lbs of live rock, 4 inch DSB, 30 gal sump 1/2 full, 20 gal over the sump refugium with 4 in DSB & cheato & live rock frags, mag drive 1800 return pump, 2 one & one half inch drains, korolia 2 & 4 powerheads, T5 HO lighting, @ 60 inches of fish, several inverts and a few corals. Tank is @ 5 months old, I am currently battling a cyano bloom, I have a marineland 300 skimmer from which i get very little skimmate, I have to set it very wet to get any at all. everything i've read about cyano suggests high nutrient levels, so why no skimmate? I use to get good skimmate up to @ a month ago, before the cyano. All water is 5 stage RO DI, instant ocean salt, 15% water chg every 10 days, PO4 is 0, silicates is 0, alk is 4 meq, ca is 350, trites and trates are almost 0, used to be 0, before the cyano. I have been removing the cyano with brush and vacuum from DT and gium, there is none in the sump. I use 100 micron socks on the drain lines from the DT and gium which i chg every 2 to 3 days, removed socks from DT drains a few days ago but still no skimmate. WHY?

moondoggy4
10/27/2009, 07:21 PM
I would say that maybe the air line is clogged. Or you need to run your pump in vinegar overnight. A quick check is boil some RO water and suck it in the air line.