PDA

View Full Version : painting over oceanic 30g cube stand, ?s

sabazerehi
10/27/2009, 07:37 PM
i'm getting a 30g oceanic cube from another reefer at a great price but the stand is that pine color. is it possible to paint black over it? i've never painted a stand before so i just need some tips on how to do it right, especially since this one is painted already. and i'd have to paint the trim of the actual tank too. advice pleaasse! thanks

jmking33
10/27/2009, 08:19 PM
sand it, and use a good paint. replace the door hardware if it needs it. take your time. Id do 3 or 4 coats.

leshnign
10/27/2009, 08:47 PM
If it's pine..there's a few coats of polyurathane topcoat which will need to be sanded. You don't need to sand the finish completly off, just rough up the surface really good. Then use a sealer primer like Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 www.zinsser.com. I like this stuff it's a water based sealer so it's pretty safe, and it comes in a spray too. For a topcoat I would use a epoxy paint , just for durability. You could probibly get it at Home Depot or Lowes. I think you could get away with masking off the trim, and using Krylon Fusion to paint it. Also avalible at you neighborhood super hardware store. Good luck with it.

sabazerehi
10/27/2009, 10:20 PM
ok so just to get this straight:

1) sand as much of the finish as i can off
2) use a sealer primer
3)3-4 coats of paint, epoxy paint for top coat if possible
4) laquer? to protect it from water.

i've already got some krylon fusion so spray painting the trim should be easy enough at least :)

leshnign
10/28/2009, 06:30 AM
You don't need to completly sand off the old finish but just provide a rough surface for the primer to adhere, and you don't need to use a laquer being the epoxy paint is waterproof. When you paint the trim be sure to scuff that up as well.

sabazerehi
10/28/2009, 01:04 PM
ok great. thanks so much!

jmking33
10/28/2009, 06:51 PM
sorry Saba...I meant sanding it to smooth the surface...not remove the previous color.