PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Cubicus Tank mates

Matt850
10/27/2009, 08:16 PM
I was trying to figure out what to work into a new tank. I have no choice about having a yellow box fish (wife, and I know the risks) but I was wanting to get some suggestions on something to house with it. I would love to house a small eel and maybe a dwarf lion fish but I am concerned about the box fish. They are pretty timid I know and didn't know if that sort of setup would be too much for the box fish? If this is an obvious no please excuse my lack of knowledge, I am just now venturing away from reef and have never researched lions or eels until now.

JamesJR
10/27/2009, 10:01 PM
these fish are very shy and timid and do not do well. I myself have never had any luck with with any Ostracion boxfish and gave up ages ago. I am afraid you aren't going to hear a whole lot of useful information on how to successfully keep these as the knowledge of how to keep them is extremely lacking.

namxas
10/28/2009, 08:35 AM
LisaD keeps O. solorensis IIRC. you might give her a shout if she doesn't see this.

billsreef
10/28/2009, 12:24 PM
The trick to boxfish is keeping them well fed. With their body structure you don't see them get a sunk stomach or lose weight from being underfed, so just make sure they eat well a couple of times per day. As for tank mates, anything that doesn't pick on others or isn't big enough to think the boxfish is a meal. So small pebble toothed eels, like a snowflake, dwarf eels and dwarf lionfish are good tank mates ;)

jetblacksdart
10/30/2009, 03:41 PM
I agree with Bill. One word of advice that I learned the hard way ( with a cowfish) No cleaner wrasses. They will pick right through the very thin skin of a boxfish that can lead to infection.