PDA

View Full Version : BTA moving to back of tank

mattgoof
10/27/2009, 08:28 PM
I got my first BTA on friday and placed it on the top of one of the rock formations in my tank. Within about 2 hours, it moved over the back of the rocks and settled on the bottom of a low 'bridge' between that formation and the one next to it. In total, it moved almost 2 feet to get to that spot. Over the next two days, it moved over about 6 inches on the original formation and has affixed itself upside down to the second rock up from the bottom. It has been there since Sunday morning.

In it current position, I have to use a mirror to see it, which quite honestly is extremely disappointing as it is the most expensive thing in my tank. Despite the fact that I have to labor to see it, it has been out in the open and healthy looking and has eaten everything that I have fed it.

My question now is what to do about it. I would obviously prefer that I be able to see it on a regular basis, but at the same time, I don't want to overly disturb it while it's adjusting to the tank. Of course, if I am ultimately going to try to move it, I don't want it to get so comfortable that a move would be too difficult. Also, I don't think I can move it by hand without moving almost every rock in the tank. What do you guys think I should do?

clowns101
10/27/2009, 08:31 PM
Change flow pattern!

mattgoof
10/27/2009, 08:35 PM
That's part of what puzzled me, he's right under a forward-pointing filter outlet, so I don't think there's any flow back there at all. Should I move my powerhead so that it shoots down the back wall?

clowns101
10/27/2009, 08:38 PM
Try it!

mattgoof
10/27/2009, 08:39 PM
Ok, how long should it take for it to start moving?

clowns101
10/27/2009, 08:41 PM
Well depends.If he likes a new change for bit it may take a bit but it may only take a few hours never can tell!

mattgoof
10/27/2009, 08:51 PM
ok, well, he's got about 250GPH directed at his as best I can. Hopefully that will be enough.

clowns101
10/27/2009, 08:54 PM
FYI dont blow him away!

mattgoof
10/27/2009, 08:57 PM
I don't think that much of it is hitting him. I just took the elbow off the return so he's almost 2 feet away from the source. It's definitely hitting him, but it's certainly not bending him over or anything.

clowns101
10/27/2009, 09:06 PM
Oh okay!Just didnt want you to hurt him with to much flow!

TLParker
10/27/2009, 09:28 PM
I second the flow change. I have done this in my tank and it worked with in a week or so.

mattgoof
10/29/2009, 10:11 AM
Well, he finally moved to the middle of the rocks, right in a hole between the top two. Since I could actually see him, I tried to feed him. I couldn't get my frozen stuff to sink through my tube, so I sent a shrimp pellet his way, but couldn't see if he took it or not. Then I woke up this morning and couldn't see him, but there was a white mucus attached to a rock nearby and the water was a little cloudy. I can barely see him, but it looks like he's completely deflated. I'm doing water tests now, but I'm gunna guess that I lost him during the night.

mattgoof
10/29/2009, 10:30 AM
I finished the tests, and everything's perfectly normal. SG 1.023, no amm, nitrites, nitrates or phosphates, ph 8.2 and kh 9.5. Maybe he just didn't like it here.

goochesfish
10/29/2009, 10:48 AM
you didn't lose him, he's probably just taking a dump after the meal

mattgoof
10/29/2009, 10:59 AM
Ok, the haze had me really worried. I'll keep my eyes on him every hour or so to make sure he's ok.

Urchinhead
10/29/2009, 12:05 PM
Once you get her to where you want her start feeding her heavily. This way she will associate the spot she is in with a good food source and is more likely to stay there.

mattgoof
10/29/2009, 12:12 PM
That's a really good idea, thanks.

Do you foresee any problems with the dried shrimp pellets? I can't seem to get frozen shrimp to sink down to it. Or is there some fancy feeding tong that I could use without fear of scratching the poor thing when I'm feeding?

Urchinhead
10/29/2009, 12:55 PM
You are welcome. The pellets may be a bit rough on her. Better to use silversides if you can. 1/4" or 1/2" pieces depending on her size. Feed until she spits it out. Chopsticks will work, so will forceps, or for that matter a plastic fork. Just don't gouge her and use something that will allow the food to come loose when you release it and she sticks to it.

mattgoof
10/31/2009, 04:50 PM
ok, thanks for the advice. At some point 2 nights ago, she reinflated and ran back underneath that rocks and I haven't seen her since. I have no idea what to do now.