PDA

View Full Version : Did I do something wrong?

sz2121
10/27/2009, 10:15 PM
So my green haddoni died last night/this morning. It expelled all of its stomach. The tank was a little cloudy and the water reeked like no other. Did I do something wrong or just get stuck with a unhealthy carpet?
Tank parameters:
SG 1.026
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
Calcium 435
dKh 10
pH 8.1
Temp 79-80.8 (depending on the day)

I only had the carpet about a week and it seemed to start going south the second day. I acclimated it for 1.5 to 2 hours. I have about a 2.5 to 3 inch fine grain sand bed. T-5 lighting (with individual reflectors) about 5 inches off the water. I used window screening and raised the lights above the tank to help acclimate the carpet. I waited to feed until a couple days ago and it refused to take silversides slices.
The carpet also never fully set its foot. I put tupperware into the tank at the bottom and it would seem to settle down but then in the morning it would always be face down in the sand outside of the tupperware. It was protected from direct fast water flow and did not seem to be blowing around at all.
Did I screw something up that anyone can tell?
If I did not is there a good reliable place that seems to have very healthy anemones that I might look into?

Toddrtrex
10/27/2009, 10:57 PM
From the info given it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong.

It seems lately (( last couple of years )) that Haddonis have become poor shippers --- did you get it shipped?

One thing to look for is a tightly closed mouth, full tentacles and very sticky. Hard to tell about the stickiness when ordering online. At least I would go with a place that offers "what you see if what you get pictures". All of the above will apply if buying it from a store. Could also check its feeding response if getting it locally. A healthy Haddoni should pull in and consume the food within seconds.

For comparison, here is a Haddoni going down hill,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Fish%20stuff/mintHaddoni3.jpg

A new healthy Haddoni,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/33/Perc8_18_9part3.jpg

sz2121
10/28/2009, 11:49 AM
Ok thank you very much.
I have been wanting to get one for a couple years now and I have heard that they dont often survive the shipping process so I have been leery of ordering one online and the I rarely see them in stores around here.
Is there another kind of carpet that fares a little better than a haddoni?

Toddrtrex
10/28/2009, 11:53 AM
Ok thank you very much.
I have been wanting to get one for a couple years now and I have heard that they dont often survive the shipping process so I have been leery of ordering one online and the I rarely see them in stores around here.
Is there another kind of carpet that fares a little better than a haddoni?

I would say that Haddonis fare the better then Gigs (( the other common "carpet" ))

2 of mine are from the Diver's Den section of Live Aquaria.
1 is from a local reefer
2 of them are from Living Sea in Park Ridge. Granted I bought one of them about 10 years ago.