PDA

View Full Version : Peacock price and tank size

o2comfort
10/27/2009, 11:52 PM
I have an opportunity to get a Peacock from a lfs for $20. Is this a good deal? Also, if I were to buy it would an acrylic nano type tank in the neighborhood of 10 to 24 gal be suitable? Thanks in advance for your comments.

barnabus's gimp
10/28/2009, 12:13 AM
probably not, its all about the footprint of the tank not the gallons. nanos are pretty tall and waste a bunch of space.

Anthrax15
10/28/2009, 12:24 AM
If its truly a Peacock, buy it no doubt. I have to pay 70$ for mine....

A 24g Aquapod is good forwhile if the specimen is smaller but if you can get a larger tank (30g long or 40g breeder) that would be the best for it.

barnabus's gimp
10/28/2009, 12:31 AM
I agree with Anthrax to buy that thing, but make sure your tank is cycled and clean before you put it in or there may be dire consequences.

hikarishadow
10/28/2009, 12:34 AM
$20 for a peacock is an absolute steal. However, as the others have said, a peacock requires much more space than most AIO tanks will provide. Your best bet for a permanent tank would be the 40 breeder. That'll give the mantis a good amount of space to grow into. Believe me, upgrading later is a nice option, but moving a mantis can be hell. Good luck!

Mentat
10/28/2009, 05:33 AM
I have an opportunity to get a Peacock from a lfs for $20. Is this a good deal? Also, if I were to buy it would an acrylic nano type tank in the neighborhood of 10 to 24 gal be suitable? Thanks in advance for your comments.Peacock Mantis usually sell for $40 to $50 plus shipping if required. Would read Dr Roy's guide to ensure the one on store is a true one. However, if you like the Mantis, any for $20 is a good deal.

A Peacock will eventually need something like a 40 breeder or a 55. There are members here that have them in 55's and they will use the whole tank. My late Cleopatra could cross her 40 faster than I could blink. If you need to set-up tank, try to get store to hold Mantis for couple weeks until your tank is cycled. Starting it with quality live rock and/or sand (and adding bacteria cultures) can get you ready in a few days, but I would test water quality daily and ensure ammonia and nitrites are zero before bringing Mantis home.