PDA

View Full Version : Snail spewing milk like substance

bekindtoyurbuds
10/28/2009, 04:37 AM
the other day I moved a snail to my cycling frag tank, amon 0, nitrite are about .2, nitrates 15ppm.

a little background info, a few weeks ago I threw a few cleaner crew crabs in the tank to help with the algae and they have been doing fine (I know that they can live in crummy water conditions) so the crabs have been doing fine for a few weeks, so I decided to throw a snail in there to help with the algae on the glass, it was in the tank for about two days, and seemed to be fine.

the other day I looked at the tank and it looked sort of cloudy, and upon further inspection I noticed that the snail in my tank, was on the glass, just under the surface of the water, it was pushing water out of its body, enough to make a half inch ripple on the surface of the water, the water that it was pushing out of its body was clearish white, sort of like milk, this made the water cloudy.

Thinking the snail was dying, I pulled it from the tank, and flushed him down the toilet (please don't get on my case PETA)

My question is, what the hell is going on, I have never seen this happen before, has anyone else had this happen?

charlesr1958
10/28/2009, 07:21 AM
Sounds like it was spawning.

Chuck

redsea reefer
10/28/2009, 11:36 AM
spawning, it is sperm...my snails do that often...

bekindtoyurbuds
10/28/2009, 07:05 PM
crap..........well that sucks. thanks for the help