PDA

View Full Version : Tubastrea

ChadTheSpike
10/28/2009, 10:45 AM
I am thinkinng of venturing into the world of NPS and figured that a sun coral would be a good intoduction into it, eventually I would set up more of a NPS specific tank...

Please let me know if I am missing anything on this one...

I plan on putting it in a spot that is lighted in my current seahorse tank (250W MH) that is in the higher flow region of the tank. From what I understand, aclimating it the toughest part of these corals, and that can be done by blowing mysis juice over them after the lights go out until they open up, then once that happens target feeding 3-4 times per week with whole mysis should be enough.

Is daily feeding recommended?

Thanks all,

Chad

rowjimmy
10/28/2009, 06:41 PM
I am thinkinng of venturing into the world of NPS and figured that a sun coral would be a good intoduction into it, eventually I would set up more of a NPS specific tank...

Please let me know if I am missing anything on this one...

I plan on putting it in a spot that is lighted in my current seahorse tank (250W MH) that is in the higher flow region of the tank. From what I understand, aclimating it the toughest part of these corals, and that can be done by blowing mysis juice over them after the lights go out until they open up, then once that happens target feeding 3-4 times per week with whole mysis should be enough.

Is daily feeding recommended?

Thanks all,

Chad

I like to feed mine daily if possible. I find they stay open more during the daytime if I feed daily, and I get better polyp extension. People get away with feeding them less though, but IME they seem "happier" if I feed them daily. If you do feed them alot plan for lots of little "babies". Here is a picture of some of my Tubastrea during the day:

Romulox234
10/28/2009, 07:59 PM
I would recomend feeding them every day, it keeps them happier and alot healthier that way.

But like rowjimmy said if you feed them alot then they will start to spread

mak3mydae
10/28/2009, 10:10 PM
i feed mine every day but mine arnt ever that open durring the day.. But i would recogmend feeding every day if possible. If the tubastrea's look bad when you get them, you may want to feed as many times as your nitrates will allow

My avatar was taken after the lights where off btw

ChadTheSpike
10/29/2009, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys!! Im sure I will feed every day, its easy enough to do... Ive havent seen my nitrates budge off of zero since I added my fuge, lets see if I can get some ;) hehe

Beautiful tank picture rowjmmy!

euromomtx
10/29/2009, 05:41 AM
I love my sun corals and I too feed them daily. :)
(my avatar picture was taken during the day as well - the mandarins like to stick around the sun coral to get some left overs )