PDA

View Full Version : aefw and montipora

joshrules123456
10/28/2009, 01:27 PM
:idea: do aefw eat montipora's? Im currently batteling them, I removed all my dead acros, waited 8 weeks, and made the mistake of buying a frag with aefw on it, I was wondering if i could get a monty just to have a sps in my tank, or will I be fighting them on it too?

douglam
10/28/2009, 01:30 PM
Nope. They only affect acros

joshrules123456
10/28/2009, 03:54 PM
cool, anyone else got an opinion? I cant just take one on this matter, it costs too much money!, I've got my heart set on some digis!!

kvosstra
10/28/2009, 04:30 PM
From my own experience only, I have not seen any AEFW on monti's. That is certainly not to say that some variety of FW or other pest may prey on both acropora sp. and montipora sp. But, I would say that you are pretty safe going with Montipora SP. in your tank while you are eradicating the AEFW.

Again - make sure that there are no traces of Acrporora Sp. anywhere in your tank! So a small piece in the sand, or some encrusting on a rock must all be gone from the tank so that the parasite does not have a host. This goes the same for any new corals you get make sure that the montipora does not have a small chunk of acropora growing on the same plug (mine often touch, and some I can easily have 2 types of coral on one plug).

by the way, did all your corals die? or how did you treat them?
-Kyle

joshrules123456
10/28/2009, 08:49 PM
tried revive, but it was too late, the dammage was done, and they couldnt handle the dip, I did make sure there was no tissue left in the tank, however, I noted a patch under a branch on the new acro the next day, Ive been basting and it seems to help, Im just sick of lookin at softies!! they all died when I moved them to a qt.