PDA

View Full Version : iPhone App being updated

kenargo
10/28/2009, 06:46 PM
A number of persons have asked about the next update to the iPhone application in support of the Apex (and updated Apex beta).

I'm starting this thread in hopes it will be seen by the correct person...

RussM
10/28/2009, 08:26 PM
Here's to hoping...

ZigZag hasn't been online here since mid-July though. Has anyone tried to PM or email him? Or contact him through his website?

thefu
10/29/2009, 04:49 PM
I could get one done, I just don't see the money in it. People will not pay $25-$40 for it and thats what it would take, at least, to get it done given the tiny market.

I mean, really, how many internet connected controllers does anyone estimate there are out there? And then to say that maybe 20% have iphones, and then 30% of those people would pay...what is that, like 100 people?

aentrop
10/29/2009, 11:27 PM
I could get one done, I just don't see the money in it. People will not pay $25-$40 for it and thats what it would take, at least, to get it done given the tiny market.

I mean, really, how many internet connected controllers does anyone estimate there are out there? And then to say that maybe 20% have iphones, and then 30% of those people would pay...what is that, like 100 people?

so you think it would take $2500 to $4000 to make a new version of the app?
(100 people * $25)...

Lightsluvr
10/30/2009, 06:12 AM
Let's just put it this way... I bought an iPhone and the Apex in anticipation that one day soon they would kiss and make up... :bounce1:

I'm sure there are others in the same situation. With 30% of the market share, there has to be more than 100 iPhone/Apex users out there who would purchase an updated app.

LL

thefu
10/30/2009, 06:40 AM
someone could come out and do this as a fun project and give it away. That's for sure. That is what happened with the last app. But you see, of there is not a financial incentive then many times it will be a one shot thing or you will get not the greatest support.

I think that, yes if you want an app that has apex control functionality, great graphing, and some other cool features then there would have to be at least a market of 100-200 people that would lay down $25-$40 to make it worthwhile.

Remember it is not just getting the app done. It is all of the subsequent bug fixes and feature requests and not to mention support emails that make it so costly.

I don't doubt that there are 100 people with iPhones and apexs I just don't know of they would lay down the coin.

goetzc
10/30/2009, 07:10 AM
Don't forget about iTouch users... There are millions of them and I'm guessing a few probably have Neptune Controllers(I do).

I would pay $10 max for the convenience of a native iPhone/iTouch app, considering all the other options available via a browser.

thefu
10/30/2009, 07:19 AM
This is exactly about the price point I figured would be the tipping point.

Unfortunately, even with 300 people willing to shell that out, it is not worth it to me. I would rather wait for someone else to put one out for $10.

Now, if someone with some inside knowledge can give me a warm fuzzy to the accurate market size we are dealing with here, I am all ears.

Just the volume of users here with Apex or AC3 enabled controllers seems relatively small...but even if this is not indicative, take a percentage of all those that have an iphone, and then the percentage of those that would want an app, then the percentage of those that would pay, then the percentage of those that would pay $20+. Unless the original population number is rather huge...you can see the number gets small real quickly.

RussM
10/30/2009, 09:02 AM
Just the volume of users here with Apex or AC3 enabled controllers seems relatively small It is, IME... most of the reefers I know use only our local forums. And I know a guy who has 7 controllers (3 are Apex) but almost never uses forums.

ThurlowR
10/30/2009, 09:44 AM
Id be willing to donate a dev certificate if someone will donate the time to write one.

thefu
10/30/2009, 09:50 AM
It is, IME... most of the reefers I know use only our local forums. And I know a guy who has 7 controllers (3 are Apex) but almost never uses forums.

That makes the case even more that the number of controllers out there does not even represent equally the potential number of customers. The person you speak of has three apex controllers but would most likely only represent one app purchase. That is unless the licensing model was per controller but I suspect that would be met with resistance too.

I am still considering doing this of it looks right.

One other point one has to consider before venturing out is that with such a small market, just one hobbyist competitor can blow away your entire business that you just spent the last 4 weeks building an app for.

cato
10/30/2009, 06:44 PM
Let's just put it this way... I bought an iPhone and the Apex in anticipation that one day soon they would kiss and make up... :bounce1:

I'm sure there are others in the same situation. With 30% of the market share, there has to be more than 100 iPhone/Apex users out there who would purchase an updated app.

LL

Ditto ^^^
When I was ay MACNA I talked to Curt at their booth. I specifically asked about the iPhone app and update. He whipped out his iPhone and started banging out commands to the Apex display on the table. He told me his was a new beta version and that there was an updated app in the works. This sold me on upgrading my entire controller system to the Apex. I expect this to happen at some point. I would consider $20 or less to be a reasonable pricefor this also. Cmon guys lets get it done. Thanks.

thefu you gotta keep in mind this controller is brand new. Cripe I can't even get a second EB8 yet. The number of Apex users is only going to increase with time.

kenargo
10/30/2009, 06:49 PM
Ditto ^^^
When I was ay MACNA I talked to Curt at their booth. I specifically asked about the iPhone app and update. He whipped out his iPhone and started banging out commands to the Apex display on the table. He told me his was a new beta version and that there was an updated app in the works. This sold me on upgrading my entire controller system to the Apex. I expect this to happen at some point. Cmon guys lets get it done. Thanks.

Just waiting for the person who wrote the application to finish things up and post it. I understand he has been emailed and is planning the update soon but hasn't given a specific date.

cato
10/30/2009, 06:52 PM
Just waiting for the person who wrote the application to finish things up and post it. I understand he has been emailed and is planning the update soon but hasn't given a specific date.

Excellent.

jjstecchino
10/30/2009, 09:49 PM
If my programming skills were up to par I would gladly donate my time and come up with the iphone app free for everyone to use. It would be a small token in exchange for the very useful info I get daily on the forums.
I realize some guys are here for the money however most of us are here to get help and provide help to fellow reefers. In this respect my kudos go to guys like kenargo, melev to name a few, who have been dedicating their time helping people without asking anything in exchange.

I see kenargo is comin up with an ap for windows mobile, however I have not seen him looking at market share or prospective revenue.

Having said that I also believe that would be very nice if curt would consider compensating zigzag in some way for his effort since zigzag is adding a nice feature to curt's product and make it more marketable. A free apex would be a nice token of appreciation.

my 2 cents :love1:

clp
11/02/2009, 07:17 PM
FYI,
zigzag has released a new version of the AquaNotes iphone app to the itunes store for approval. This new version supports the Apex system as well as the AC3/3Pro. For it to work on the Apex system you'll need to be running version 4.01 of the Apex firmware. See the beta firmware thread here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1729512

The iphone app approval process can take from a couple of days to a couple of weeks just depending on when they get to it.

Much thanks to zigzap for getting this done.

Curt

Black Mammoth
11/02/2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks zigzag.

You can still connect via a web address, so the app not being there isn't a huge loss. However, it is convenient and more features could be added.

I don't see why money has to be involved anyway. It isn't like it is a difficult app to write to begin with. I guess money motivates people, IMHO it should be free. I don't think people would really buy it since the web works fine. You would have to add some clever features.

Black Mammoth
11/02/2009, 10:38 PM
Oh yeah. It would be nice if zigzag setup a SVN repository somewhere so others can contribute features and bug fixes. I know that I would be willing to help.

DAS140
11/03/2009, 11:18 AM
Thank you ZigZap! You are the man.

FYI,
zigzag has released a new version of the AquaNotes iphone app to the itunes store for approval. This new version supports the Apex system as well as the AC3/3Pro. For it to work on the Apex system you'll need to be running version 4.01 of the Apex firmware. See the beta firmware thread here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1729512

The iphone app approval process can take from a couple of days to a couple of weeks just depending on when they get to it.

Much thanks to zigzap for getting this done.

Curt

MrSandman
02/01/2010, 07:36 AM
Sorry to bump this old thread but i was just wondering if anyone here knew how i could get the older version of Aquanotes for iPhone. I'm specifically looking for version 2.1. If someone could email it to me, even better.