PDA

View Full Version : Would you use miracle mud in the refugium if you were me?

alaska clowns
10/29/2009, 02:11 PM
I've got this HOB refugium and I was just going to put chaeto in it, however, the refugium came with some miracle mud. What do you think....... would it be better to have the refugium with only the chaeto so I can keep the bottom clean, or is it better to have something like mud or sand in it also? Thank you!

Randy Holmes-Farley
10/29/2009, 02:13 PM
No mud for me. :)

arredondojason
10/29/2009, 02:29 PM
you would only want to use mud if you are doing a planted fuge if not then a good layer of sand would be fine.

alaska clowns
10/29/2009, 02:58 PM
What's a planted fuge....does having mangroves in the fuge count as being planted? (Right now the mangroves are doing fine with no substrate in their temporary holding place in my skimmer outlet chamber)

I was just afraid that if I have some kind of substrate, i.e. mud or sand, that it might trap detritus and become a nitrate trap instead of something that reduces my nitrates.

arredondojason
10/29/2009, 03:36 PM
i have a small power head in my fuge to prevent detritus building up plus I put some snails and hermit crabs in the fuge as well. i run a sand bottom and cheto and it works great.

Playa-1
10/29/2009, 07:50 PM
I would skip the mud

alaska clowns
10/29/2009, 11:47 PM
Thanks everyone! I skipped the mud and the fuge is up and running. I'm sure cleaning will be much easier. The chaeto is gonna be happy :)