PDA

View Full Version : T5/ MH equivalency/fixture questions.

PowermanKW
10/29/2009, 08:46 PM
First, I have tied to search, but the nature of "T5" does not lend well to a search. I scanned through the T5 Q&A thread, but is only bulb recommendations.

So... What is the equivalent conversion between T5 and MH. Watts/output?

When I look at fixtures, I want to know what ratio of T5 there is to MH.

Second... I want to light a 60x30x24. There are 4 or 6 foot fixtures, not many 5. I like MH, but might think about a higher ratio of T5 to MH. I was thinking of 2x24" fixtures like pendents (turned side ways), but with say 150w MH and 6 or 8 bulbs of T5. Not many fixtures out there like that, but I'm just thinking. My thinking is getting more of the benefits of T5, but still having the point source of MH.

Most fixtures are MH with a couple of T5 for supplements. I am looking for a combination fixture with a higher ratio of T5

OrrG
10/29/2009, 09:28 PM
Not sure of any fixture with that ratio of T5 to MH, you could always do a retro fit though. Or just get a 60" 10 bulb Powermodule. Check here (http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/ATI/Powermodule_Fixtures/ATI_60_inch__10x80W_Powermodule_T5_High-Output_Fixture_w!_Bulbs_by_ATI)

sminker
10/29/2009, 10:24 PM
lets just say im running 6x80 over a 180 and couldnt be happier. SPS Dominated

edit, sorry misread original post. mine has no relevance...lol

PowermanKW
10/29/2009, 10:36 PM
^ It does because I don't even know how much light I should have. So you have 480w of T5.

This was what I was thinking.
175w MH with 4x24 T5s in a2' fixture hang two of them like pendants. That's 350ws of MH and 200w of T5
http://http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=H-ACBS2175&Category_Code=hreefstar

There was another one that kept adding more T5s on, but I can't find it now.

sminker
10/29/2009, 10:41 PM
just remember. the par difference from 24"/36" T5's to 48"/60" bulbs increases greatly.

the PAR jump from 36" to 48" is pretty high.

longer the bulb the better

also, i dont use any actinics. the ATI Blue+ combines actinic and daylight to create one of the highest PAR bulbs you can get.

PowermanKW
10/29/2009, 10:53 PM
What I have now is a Aqua Pro by Coralife. I replaced the 150w with 250w and Galaxy ballast, but it still has the 2x96w PC. I wanted to keep it if I moved to a bigger tank. 30" deep by 24" tall. My only question is to either go 4 foot or 5 foot long. So that is what got me on this whole subject. Will my light be good enough or is it worth replacing, and how do I light a 5 foot tank?

From what you are saying, using two 24" fixtures like pendants will not come out the same as a 4 foot T5/MH fixture in out put.

My problem is that when it comes to 4 foot fixtures, they are MH w/ T5 supplements. What would be cool is a T5 fixture with MH supplements. Say 6x54w T5s and 2x150w MH for shimmer.

The Grim Reefer
10/29/2009, 11:02 PM
What I have now is a Aqua Pro by Coralife. I replaced the 150w with 250w and Galaxy ballast, but it still has the 2x96w PC. I wanted to keep it if I moved to a bigger tank. 30" deep by 24" tall. My only question is to either go 4 foot or 5 foot long. So that is what got me on this whole subject. Will my light be good enough or is it worth replacing, and how do I light a 5 foot tank?

From what you are saying, using two 24" fixtures like pendants will not come out the same as a 4 foot T5/MH fixture in out put.

My problem is that when it comes to 4 foot fixtures, they are MH w/ T5 supplements. What would be cool is a T5 fixture with MH supplements. Say 6x54w T5s and 2x150w MH for shimmer.

If you are using 10K 250 watt halides with 4 Blue Plus T5's the 24" lamp idea is fine. The Halides are giving the major part of the PAR and the Blue Plus will also give you a decent amount, even though the shorter lamps aren't quite as bright, the difference isn't that big that I would worry about it if you are running halides too

PowermanKW
10/30/2009, 10:36 AM
Any other ideas?

Let's say I was going to use 2x150w MH, or even one 250w pendant, how much T5 would I need for a SPS tank?

casalt
10/30/2009, 10:54 AM
If you go MH then depending on your house and location ie temp. Then you need to be ready for a chiller or short light hours in summer. T5's dont have the shimmer but grow sps as well without the heat. If your handy go retro, if have to call an electrician for receptacle work then get a fixture. Retro gives you more light and less material in a small space, fixtures are plug and play with less output. you get what you pay for. Both T5 and MH are good as long as you dont go cheap, cheap gets you bad quality, no coral growth, but lots of pretty algae to look at. If you have room for a chiller go MH, if not go t5 with some canopy fans . MH bulbs=around $150,, t5= around $22. My icecap driven 54watt T5's are running 85watts ea with fans. do your research, make a choice and then question if you did the right thing.

PowermanKW
10/30/2009, 11:05 AM
If you go MH then depending on your house and location ie temp. Then you need to be ready for a chiller or short light hours in summer. T5's dont have the shimmer but grow sps as well without the heat. If your handy go retro, if have to call an electrician for receptacle work then get a fixture. Retro gives you more light and less material in a small space, fixtures are plug and play with less output. you get what you pay for. Both T5 and MH are good as long as you dont go cheap, cheap gets you bad quality, no coral growth, but lots of pretty algae to look at. If you have room for a chiller go MH, if not go t5 with some canopy fans . MH bulbs=around $150,, t5= around $22. My icecap driven 54watt T5's are running 85watts ea with fans. do your research, make a choice and then question if you did the right thing.

That's funny. I don't need a chiller with the MHs I have now. It isn't so much about whether or not to go T5 or MH, it is more about going more T5 with MH supplementation.

Most MH fixtures have T5 supplementing. My problem is if I mix some MH in, I don't know how much T5 I need.

Cptn Spaulding
10/30/2009, 06:43 PM
i would do a retrofit and make a 4 bulb t5 fixture with individual parabolic reflectors and 2 150 watt 20k MH or something. maybe with the MH in the middle between the 4 bulbs? that will be a TON of light and you could do anything with that. this way you will have the power of t5s with the shimmer of MH. i personally like T5's a lot and if i really was you i would get 6 T5s on your tank. but thats just me. basically, if you get any t5s there are many different types of bulbs out there so pick and choose to create the color you want. i would recommend with the 4 bulb setup aforementioned to get at least 2 ATI blue plus bulbs, they are absolutely rockin :-P

James77
10/30/2009, 07:50 PM
If you have room for a chiller go MH, if not go t5 with some canopy fans . MH bulbs=around $150,, t5= around $22. My icecap driven 54watt T5's are running 85watts ea with fans. do your research, make a choice and then question if you did the right thing.

$150 metal halide bulbs?? :rolleyes: Even the most expensive one, the Aquaconnect, is $115. Most others fall in around the $50-75. T5 bulbs are about $25 each- if you replace 8, you are looking at $200. IDK if you were trying to compare the cost of replacing 2 halide bulbs(typical number)with a single T5 bulb, despite the fact that T5 setups usually have 6-8 bulbs that are replaced at once.

And MH does not automatically equal the need for a chiller. I have never used one on any of my setups at any of my houses. A good ventilated canopy works wonders.

James77
10/30/2009, 07:54 PM
That's funny. I don't need a chiller with the MHs I have now. It isn't so much about whether or not to go T5 or MH, it is more about going more T5 with MH supplementation.

Most MH fixtures have T5 supplementing. My problem is if I mix some MH in, I don't know how much T5 I need.

Which would you rahter, a fixture or retro fit?

The Aquaphoton has 6 T5s along with 2x250 halides. I have no idea how good they are in terms of reflectors or performance though. They are also kind of up there in price.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AP-PP-4D-225-654&Category_Code=aquaphoton

PowermanKW
10/31/2009, 01:45 AM
Ya, I saw those. I could have swore they had a 24" version, but they are quite expensive.

I guess I'll just have to go retro and make it myself.

The Grim Reefer
10/31/2009, 08:28 AM
Any other ideas?

Let's say I was going to use 2x150w MH, or even one 250w pendant, how much T5 would I need for a SPS tank?

150 watt halides don't do much. I would do the single 250 with high light critters placed below it then use whatever length T5's will cover the tank, 4 of them.

Front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
Halide
ATI Aquablue
Blue Plus

Use a 10 or 12K halide.

What that will give you is a 14Kish look in the area of the halide and 18~20K out at the ends. Should be a cool fad effect. Beyond the halide reflector you should be fine for most softies and up on the rocks most LPS.

PowermanKW
10/31/2009, 01:40 PM
Thanks Grim...you're kind of local. I'm in the Springs.

I could use 4x80w in a 5 foot fixture, or 6x54w in a 4 foot. With one 250w that would be a lot of light. Do I really need to put the high light critters under the halide, since everyone insists that SPS can thrive under T5s.

The one 250w would be good, still might go 2x150w. Depends on how I might do my rock work. I sort of envision two islands with a 60x30 foot print to work with. 48x30 for sure, just might go 60 though.

So I have seen all the retro kits. Still confused at how many lights a 660 can power. And where do you get hoodsfixtures from? Thanks

The Grim Reefer
10/31/2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks Grim...you're kind of local. I'm in the Springs.

I could use 4x80w in a 5 foot fixture, or 6x54w in a 4 foot. With one 250w that would be a lot of light. Do I really need to put the high light critters under the halide, since everyone insists that SPS can thrive under T5s.

The one 250w would be good, still might go 2x150w. Depends on how I might do my rock work. I sort of envision two islands with a 60x30 foot print to work with. 48x30 for sure, just might go 60 though.

So I have seen all the retro kits. Still confused at how many lights a 660 can power. And where do you get hoodsfixtures from? Thanks

reefgeek.com

660 will run 3 80 watt lamps or 4 on the others. 4 lamps isn't a whole lot for higher light critters with T5's.

PowermanKW
10/31/2009, 05:51 PM
Sweet. Thanks.