PDA

View Full Version : UV Sterilizer???

Kdocimo90
10/30/2009, 12:42 PM
I unfortunately used to have a Aqua 39watt UV sterilizer, but sold it thinking I wasnt going to need it.

Now that I have ich in my system and my fish have become stressed out lately (due to new additions), I am a bit worried and the ich has become visible again. I always feed with garlic, and they all seemed very healthy, but when the new fish were added, I think the stress was too much for them to handle.

My real question is, what UV sterilizer and what wattage would you recommend.
I of course dont want to spend a fortune, but I want the job done.

Kdocimo90
10/30/2009, 12:49 PM
Also, what are/do "wipers" do

phil519
10/30/2009, 12:55 PM
take this with a grain of salt as my sole exp with ich was just death (this was back in 93). :hammer: Since then I just qt everything.

Anyways the issue I have with products like a UV sterilizer is that it only works on the motile stage of ich. Adding this equipment is not a guaranteed method for elimination of ich. It misses any of the bugs lodged in the fish and in addition it does not affect any eggs in the sand.

The ideal course would be removal of fish (but unfortunately this is rarely possible -especially seeing that you have a 210).

sjames
10/30/2009, 12:57 PM
wipers wipe the gunk off the bulb without having to remove it.

I would also consider the usefullness of UV to be dubious.

Kdocimo90
10/30/2009, 01:02 PM
take this with a grain of salt as my sole exp with ich was just death (this was back in 93). :hammer: Since then I just qt everything.

Anyways the issue I have with products like a UV sterilizer is that it only works on the motile stage of ich. Adding this equipment is not a guaranteed method for elimination of ich. It misses any of the bugs lodged in the fish and in addition it does not affect any eggs in the sand.

The ideal course would be removal of fish (but unfortunately this is rarely possible -especially seeing that you have a 210).

Yeah unfortunately when I got into the hobby I wasnt aware of ich. Trust me, I've thought about emptying the fish out of the tank and treating them. Then I looked back at when it took me 2 weeks to catch one fish >.<

If I ever upgrade in the future/move out of my parents house (i'm only 19 dont worry lol) then I definitely plan on treating the fish.

I just dont know what to do right now because getting the fish out isnt an option, and according to most views, UV sterilizers aren't that dependable.

ironwill723
10/30/2009, 01:03 PM
I swear by them and have never had any major disease outbreaks but that is just my experience with them. Bigger wattage is more potent/effective theoretically speaking. I use a 36w TurboTwist 12x and I may even add another one to my 220g.

Kdocimo90
10/30/2009, 01:14 PM
I swear by them and have never had any major disease outbreaks but that is just my experience with them. Bigger wattage is more potent/effective theoretically speaking. I use a 36w TurboTwist 12x and I may even add another one to my 220g.

Interesting. But now that Ich has cycled through my system, will a UV sterilizer help?

jenglish
10/30/2009, 01:14 PM
UV only treat what passes through them, so they cannot eliminate ich. Your standard UV sterilizer is not going to have enough power to kill crypto. You are better off saving your money IMO. UV has it's uses but killing ich is not one of them.

Kdocimo90
10/30/2009, 01:16 PM
UV only treat what passes through them, so they cannot eliminate ich. Your standard UV sterilizer is not going to have enough power to kill crypto. You are better off saving your money IMO. UV has it's uses but killing ich is not one of them.

Ok understood. Thanks.

Any way, other than treatment OUTSIDE of the DT that I can do to help get rid of the ich. Even if it doesnt get rid of the ich, is there anything I can do other than feed with garlic.

sjames
10/30/2009, 01:26 PM
Ok understood. Thanks.

Any way, other than treatment OUTSIDE of the DT that I can do to help get rid of the ich. Even if it doesnt get rid of the ich, is there anything I can do other than feed with garlic.

I would just feed with garlic and selcon. When the stress goes away, so will the ich.

usefulidiot213
10/30/2009, 01:47 PM
Your only bet is to try to keep your fish healthy and stress free.. Like said above, feed garlic & Selcon, and try not to mess with anything that would street them out anymore.

jenglish
10/30/2009, 02:08 PM
Ok understood. Thanks.

If conditions can be improved, ich is rarely fatal. If you do not cure it your fish will always have it in sub-clinical levels of infection, typically in the gills and nostrils. Whether the fish suffers or has a shortened life due to this is unknown. Fish can live for years and years with subclinical infections without seeing spots. The ich will be there if stress lowers the immune system enough. There are "reef-safe ich cures" that are just snake oil IMO. If you cannot take them out and treat them, improving conditions and lowering stress are probably your best bet.

phil519
10/30/2009, 02:36 PM
Yeah unfortunately when I got into the hobby I wasnt aware of ich. Trust me, I've thought about emptying the fish out of the tank and treating them. Then I looked back at when it took me 2 weeks to catch one fish >.<

If I ever upgrade in the future/move out of my parents house (i'm only 19 dont worry lol) then I definitely plan on treating the fish.

I just dont know what to do right now because getting the fish out isnt an option, and according to most views, UV sterilizers aren't that dependable.

I hear ya - I just don't know if adding a UV is really going to help other than maybe give you a false sense of security.

Check the water parms - maybe a few additional water changes (stabilizing) will help the fish relax more.

discus510
10/30/2009, 03:18 PM
wipers wipe the gunk off the bulb without having to remove it.

I would also consider the usefullness of UV to be dubious.
its actually not wiping the bulbs but instead the sleeves

MarkD40
10/30/2009, 03:49 PM
I have used a 40watt UV sterilizer for 12 years (replacing the bulb every year). I can testify that UV sterilization does not prevent or cure ich. I once quarantined a PBT for 6 weeks and 1 week after he was put in the display ich reared it's ugly head and he/she was dead in a week. Tangs are the only fish I have ever had get this parasite. (except for yellow tangs which seem to be more resistant or hardier for some reason) I have finally given up on tangs because I can't bear to see them die. (I do have a 5 year old yellow tang that is fat and happy and ich free.) I have tried garlic, cleaner fish, cleaner shrimp, dips, melafix, low salinity.......nothing has worked for me. They either recover (rarely) or they die (routinely). My favorite species but no can do.

Kdocimo90
11/01/2009, 11:37 PM
any other opinions/experiences?

Kdocimo90
11/02/2009, 12:38 PM
bump

IluvGod'sreefs
11/02/2009, 01:11 PM
I have a 15 watt Gamma that came with my tank, and I have to agree with others here in that it doesn't seem to fight ich well. It did however KO the hair algae I had, especially after I changed the Bulb.